What is semi-reflex?

Justin

Hi,

I see there are a few paraglider manufacturers that state that their PPG wings are semi-reflex. While I understand what a reflex wing is & how it differs from a conventional paraglider, I'm a bit in the dark of what is actually meant by semi-reflex?

My guess is that it's either the trims have a smaller range, therefore allowing less reflex or that the glider is configured to only allow reflex at either the centre section or just the tips rather than full reflex across the entire span?

Can anyone shed some light on this & explain the pros & cons of semi-reflex?

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Gordon,

It kind of confused me too. The glider in question was the ITV Boxer GT. They claim it to be semi-reflex, so is it a reflex or non-reflex glider?

The closest opinion that I've heard of from someone was the one I mentioned above about having reflex in the centre section rather than full span. This wasn't concrete evidence, just somebody else's opinion of what it could have referred to. 

I wish manufacturers would explain!

Thanks again Gordon,

Justin

My Magnetic wing is a semi/hybrid reflex, hows that? 

Its non reflex wing trims in and trims right out, I feel the reflex only comes on with speedbar when the D lines only start to go slack during speedbar use.

where as my GTX would be obviously reflex halfway out on the trims, any more trim and speedbar added even more reflex.

My previous wing was an ITV Boxer, sporting a 'semi-reflex' profile. TBH I think 'semi-reflex' is effectively a regular profile until you open the trimmers and use a speedbar - and then it only slacks off the D's - slightly altering the profile. Essentially it was still an active wing (hands on)... and definitely didn't have the speed range of a true reflex wing.

For me, as a beginner wing it was a good wing, albeit a tad slow. I honestly enjoyed flying it.

I now fly a true reflex wing (Nucleon WRC) and the difference is stark. It is much, much faster - more suited for cross country trips. It is also more stable/solid in lumpy air... seeming to cut through the thermals rather than taking the washing machine route.

My 2p = 'semi reflex' is not true reflex in that it doesn't offer the speed, collapse resistance and hands off dependability that a true reflex wing will.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your replies guys. It can all get very confusing! To me it's either reflex or it isn't. Ozone, for example, have a nice range of dedicated PPG wings which all commonly have trimmers, yet they list some wings as non-reflex & others as full reflex. Nice & simple!

I just wish other manufacturers would explain the meaning of their semi-reflex wings to save us all guessing & probably help sell their products!

Thanks again for your inputs, the reflex with full trimmers out & full speed bar seems a logical answer. 

Justin

Ever heard the term pitch positive reflex. I would class that as full reflex.

For me:

Full Reflex is on trims alone it reached reflex.

Semi-Reflex is only on bar after trims are out.

Non-Reflex is on the bar and still no reflex.

How much is there has always been difficult to quantify. How much you need/want is also difficult to quantify. Sometimes in wings the term semi reflex is to gain promotional points. I have flown the boxer and its was a great fun responsive wing beyond its en/a qualifications, any reflex though.??. very very possibly maybe a slight little bit at the end of the speed bar. How stiff the trimmers are is a simple test, pressure in the trims, little reflex. Floppy trims, lots of reflex.