Chase cam

My instructor (I'm a newbie) has a windsock with a metal bracket across the top of the windsock (the widest part) with a normal gopro mount riveted to the bracket and then tied by about 5 meter cable to trailing edge and he says it is perfectly stable.

I am going to give it a go (once I have learned to fly safely)

Edited by Guest

Training has been great (in Guatemala as I am traveling through Central America), only thing is my engine blew a piston about a week ago so waiting for parts to show up before I can continue. Still kiting though!

I was just getting to that stage where I wasn't scared anymore every time the engine roars to life on your back and the wind grabs your wing, but I am hooked already so waiting patiently-ish to get back in the air.

I should see him in the next couple days to clean out the engine and I will take some snaps of the chase cam for you.

Some useful info, pics and advice on this thread for chase cam and some other mounts...-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8927&start=15

Gordon, why do you suggest forward launches only with the cam attached?

I`ve already built one, but need to do a few more flights before i have the additional stress of having something hanging off the edge of the wing..

Maybe, it would work fine in stronger winds, but when I tried to reverse launch the camera tangled on the 'd' lines before I managed to turn. My Fusion can reverse launch in quite light winds. Seemed to work OK on this video though.

The string was 4.7meters (I know it was suggested that 4 was enough but on the ground when it was laid out, that looks a little short. I attached to the training edge using a small light weight fishing hook, about the 5th set of lines in from the right hand side, just angle the camera down and to the left a smidgen and hey presto - got lucky first time.

I know everyone says that April is a bumpy month but wow, it was still very thermic at 5-6pm last night, and quite cold at 800ft! (Hence the quick turn around).

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.

Some useful info, pics and advice on this thread for chase cam and some other mounts...-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8927&start=15

Gordon, why do you suggest forward launches only with the cam attached?

I`ve already built one, but need to do a few more flights before i have the additional stress of having something hanging off the edge of the wing..

Maybe, it would work fine in stronger winds, but when I tried to reverse launch the camera tangled on the 'd' lines before I managed to turn. My Fusion can reverse launch in quite light winds. Seemed to work OK on this video though.

Gordon, I found that if I tucked the camera under the back of the wing, rather than place a few feet back, there was less 'swing' on the line and it wasn't too bad but as you say, there was a good head wind last night to keep it back :)

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.