Worth knowing!!!

pete_b

Interesting, but I believe 999 does all the same stuff.

The reason for 112's existence is so that all EU member states

have a universal emergency number.

Plenty info on the web about this. Either number works in these ways described in the video but if you travel to Europe much I guess it is worth sticking with 112 as a matter of course so it is instinct.

I hope none of us have to use either number!

That is the 999 Text Relay Service. Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impared register their mobiles and use the text screen. This is received at a monitoring station who then call 999 and read the text message to the Fire, Police or Ambo operator.

A good system for those that need it.

112 is the European emergency number which can be used in this country, but we prefer 999.

For non emergency Police calls use 101, wherever you are in the country 101 will get you to the force of your choice. Just follow the prompts. It only costs 15p no matter how long you're on the phone or to whichever force you're speaking to..

Rob,

Have you ever heard seen or used the ICE phone number thing?

Add a number to your phone under the name ICE (In Case of Emergency)

Interested to know if its actually getting used by the various services....

SW :D

Rob,

Have you ever heard seen or used the ICE phone number thing?

Add a number to your phone under the name ICE (In Case of Emergency)

Interested to know if its actually getting used by the various services....

SW :D

does the ICE number work if the phones locked?

Sorry for the delay is responding...

ICE is just a suggestion that does not seem to have filtered to the emergency services (in Dorset). So, no, the emergency services would not automatically look for ICE on your phone.

I would doubt very much if it would work with a keylock on because, after all, its just another number as far as your phone is concerned..

And I'd like to point out that if you dial 999 in an area not covered by your provider it will become a 'roamers' call and picked up by any mast offering coverage. This is not a 112 service only.

What users ought to be aware of is that as its picked up by a provider who is not your provider, it will be presented to the emergency services as a 'roamers' call and not come with a phone number. Therefore the emergency services operator will probably ask you who you are, where you are and what is your number before they ask you anything else. If the call drops out they have no way of getting back to you.

I work in a control room and there is nothing worse that a roamers call coming in with someone screaming for help and the call drops out. There is no way of getting back to them. No phone numer or subscriber details available..

• 2 years later...