Polini Thor Rubber Intake Manifold Concern.

Steve

Has anyone else with a Thor engine noticed the rubber intake manifold beginning to split?

I noticed it last week, only on the top side, but several small slits looking deep enough to be of potential concern. Reminds me of an old tyre wall that is on the way out.

Has anyone else with a Thor engine noticed the rubber intake manifold beginning to split?

I noticed it last week, only on the top side, but several small slits looking deep enough to be of potential concern. Reminds me of an old tyre wall that is on the way out.

mine seems ok

Change it out m8... They only cost about 12quid from Parajet (or other dealers) and take 5mins to change. Luckily I noticed mine had gone when it was still on the ground as I couldnt start it. so it must have been on its way out during the previous flight.. Double check that the air box top support (tie wrap and fuel tube in my case) doesn't put undue stress on the manifold as I think that is what did my one in :shock:

It's part of my pre-flights and I now check it carefully as part of my routine.. This isn't unique to Polini as anyone familiar with Rotax 912's will know these go regularly as well but they charge you a LOT more for the privelidge!!

Fair comment, cheers.

I have already ordered a replacement, it is just amazing to have to replace it after only six months. The airbox isn't under any tension, I guess the weight of the PWK carb moving and vibrating takes its toll quickly (I assume Thors fitted with the Warlbro carb wouldn't have the same issues, being that much smaller and lighter).

(I assume Thors fitted with the Warlbro carb wouldn't have the same issues, being that much smaller and lighter).

No they don't, as the Walbro doesn't use the rubber manifold at all and mounts directly to the reed valve via a thick gasket..

TBH

I'm thinking of moving back to the Walbro as the advantages (slightly more progressive throttle / better fuel consumption) don't outweigh the negs (can't lay the motor on its back for transport without draining the float / quitting when picking up the risers / splitting manifolds) Unfortunately I modded the throttle cable so its harder to change back :?

Rich

The negatives are a pain for sure but the carb can be drained in a few seconds without any mess and you do get used to blipping the throttle when bending down, annoying though it is.

Maybe one day paramotor perfection will be discovered.

mine seems ok

How old is yours?