Ground handling site

dantheman

While the weather is poo you may wish to keep on top of your kiting skills....

Datchet Steve and myself have used Windsor Great Park and its a top spot, nice wide open spaces, great for the wife and kids to enjoy a picnic (not at this time of year). Park police were a bit arsey until we explained we were just kiting not taking off then they were delighted to share the space with us.

There is a designated kite area just south of Windsor on the A332, first car park on your right as you leave Windsor.

You may even see some ultra high kites.....

anuj-vero.jpg

altitude.gif

• 1 year later...
In the pub last night I secured "the nod of approval" to fly from a site near Brooklands, got all excited today only to check the airmap and it's inside the Heathrow SFC-2500ft class A airspace :shock: nevermind !

You almost made my heart stop Dan! I thought that maybe, just maybe, you had been drinking with someone from the CAA. ;) Sounds like it must have been a land owner instead.

There's nothing I would love more than to be able to fly from somewhere close to home though. Gonna have to be satisfied with Guildford and Wantage till the CAA give us a special VFR route out from Brooklands ;)

Regards

Dean Barker

Hard luck Dan having your exitement dashed.

I got permission from a farmer to use a field about a mile away, flew from it twice then the farmer asked me to stop using it because his sheep in the next field didn't like it.

Oh well.

Alan

Here in Japan, most flying takes place from riverbanks. Even though I'm quite close to Tokyo, you can get pretty much anywhere by following a river. They have vast flood plains, so you're always guaranteed a nice place to land.

The bank of the Edo River is about a hundred yards from my house... perfect for ground-handling practice. Our club flies from a nice stretch of the Tone River, about a 10-minute drive away, that we share with other members of the city Sky Sports Association.

• 1 year later...