Altimeter / Vario

gavrob

I'm considering purchasing a simple vario.

I'm looking for something that will basically tell me my altitude & show me if I'm climbing or descending (vsi)...

I keep coming back to the Ascent wrist vario.

Review here

More details here

Best price seems to be from here

Does any one use one of these & would you recommend purchasing one?

Any other suggestions??

Many thanks,

Gavin.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Simon.

Also just stumbled upon the 'Colibri II' which looks like an interesting bit of kit - at a good price... - fairly new to the market.

Seems to pack loads into a small box & could be ideal for the paramotor pilot who just desires a few basic bits of info...

GPS, vario, altitude, plus...

Basic navigation functions:

North indicator

Distance to and bearing to selected TP

Ground speed

Track being achieved

Wind calculation

from Wings and Wheels

personally i would just stick to a standard vario, Digifly, Fly master, brauniger, flytec, or just get a secondhand unit...

I have had my digifly vl100 for 17 years since i was 18 and took up hang gliding still works well today.

Get something simple and easy to use esp if your new to the sport you dont want to be worrying about setting it up correctly and taking your mind of the important part getting ready doing your check's. Plus if you fly with more experienced pilots they dont want to be hanging around waiting for you to set up your vario gps etc etc ...

If you get into thermaling then you really dont want a wrist mounted vario altimeter you won't be able to see it...

Keep it simple stupid!!! "not calling YOU stupid"

Gav,

Your list seems to be missing Altitude / height.

Knowing what I know about the flying you want to do, I would 100% suggest that you get a GPS/altimeter A vario is less important.

If your mates dont wait for you to set it up, get some new mates.

SW :D

Gav,

Your list seems to be missing Altitude / height.

Knowing what I know about the flying you want to do, I would 100% suggest that you get a GPS/altimeter A vario is less important.

If your mates dont wait for you to set it up, get some new mates.

SW :D

Yes depending on type of flying you want to do can change the instruments you take up...but a vario is a good tool to have.. even if its a flytec sonic mini http://www.flytec.com/Products/Variometers/Sonic.htm

And yes if your mates wont wait... fly with some one else. But if your always the last to set up and go or they are always waiting for you then they might choose not to fly with you....... :wink:

Simon & Morgy... thanks for the responses & ideas so far.

I've ammended the thread title to 'Altimeter / Vario' as that better reflects what I'm looking for!

I agree that I need to keep it simple - the less buttons the better for me in this game (I have enough buttons in the day job!!)

All I really need is something to tell me how high I am & also an 'up / down' indicator (which I appreciate the altimeter will do - over a slightly longer period)

I still think the new Colibri II might be a good little box of tricks (only 1 button!) & can be set to show Altitude & VSI functions before launch... It also has the simple gps facility which could be set with the launch site & used as a 'get me home' facility... should the need arise! Seems a good price at present :approx £200 (due to increase significantly once it receives certification).

Morgy, I take on board your comments re getting something simple & easy to use (which is what I need :wink: ). How do you think the ones you mention compare to the Colibri?

Another question... re the sonic varios... Can you hear them over the engine noise & is it not a bit annoying having something bleeping or whining at you all the time? Surely we come paramotoring to get away from that 8)

Unless your planing on turning the engine off and thermaling I wouldn't bother with an audiable vario.

I've got a Garmin etrex summit hc and it has a barometric altimeter and full gps and it's easy to use as an altimeter with climb/decent rate but the gps is a bit fiddly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000UNHA4Q/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

Tom :D

You also need to think about the type of flying you want to do.... If you want to just fly around in light none thermic conditions then yes the little sonic is no good for you and a small gps type unit will be good enough...

I have only used the Digifly vl100 as i've said but all the base level vario's are simple to use and come with altimeter And up down Vario fight time etc. Its just a case of which one you like the best.

Personally i would recommend if your going to get a gps get a dedicated GPS unit if the batteries go down on the GPS you still have most of the info you need to fly with and via versa. Or if you have a bit more money then get a gps Vario BUT there allot more money and allot more complicated...

Its all about your type of flying and what you want from the sport.... I've always wanted to go XC and thermal but i only fly with a vario map and compass... The batteries wont go flat on my map :lol:

But i do need to get a gps for speed over ground etc