Trikes and the law

I'm working through the logistics of starting a small business here in Spain, taking passengers on 'Introductory training flights' around the Marbella area.

My friend is already up and running with the business and has asked if I will join him to cater for the English side of the business.

I'm trying to get my head around the legalities of such a venture and I'm struggling with understanding this aspect.

This is what I have worked out so far:

My friend has been taught to instructor level and he offers an element of tuition pre-flight and also during the flight, qualifying the title of 'Introductory training flights', as opposed to pleasure flight (which is not allowed).

So far so good. However, unlike the UK, I understand that trikes are classed the same as foot launch paramotors ie not requiring an NPPL as in the UK, and therefore do not required to be registered. The trike is considered the same as foot launched.

So, if no licence is required, do I assume that no license would be required by law to be a trike instructor in Spain? ie in the uk, as the law stands at the moment, anyone can instruct another person to fly a foot launch PPG.

If this is the case then would I be right in assuming that my friends loop hole, to give an introductional training flight as a qualified instructor, would not hold water, and the rule about no flying for hire or reward would kick in and......well, piss on his bonfire?

So, in this case if I trained to the highest level possible on trikes over here and then offered flights for free but an amount for a photo/video disc of the experience.....? :)

On another note, if instructor qualifications are not legally required or recognised by law in the UK, how is it legal to recieve payment for tuition :?:?

I'm probably missing something really obvious. If I am, then my excuse is it's 40 degrees here and my head is more than a little fuzzy :wink:

Cheers

Dan

Dan, do you have (I assume there must be, but you know what assuming does) an equivalent of the UK CAA and the French DGAC?

Is there a microlight organisation in Spain? I know you fly with other spanish pilots, do they not know?

Cheers,

Alan

Dan, do you have (I assume there must be, but you know what assuming does) an equivalent of the UK CAA and the French DGAC?

Is there a microlight organisation in Spain? I know you fly with other spanish pilots, do they not know?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

There is a Spanish CAA, but I cannot find anything relating to my issues as they don't recognise PPG as within their realm of responsibility.

Don't know of any microlight organisation here, although that doesn't mean that there isn't.

The pilots over here seem to be quite happy with the staus quo and are not interested in asking questions or understanding the law.

Hope your weather is as nice in France as it is over here 8)

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

There is 100% a sports aviation association in Spain. I know from past experience dealing with them to allow PMC trained pilots to fly. I just cant remember what its called?

Tony?

Edson?

One of you must remember the name of it.

SW :D

Hi Dan,

There is 100% a sports aviation association in Spain. I know from past experience dealing with them to allow PMC trained pilots to fly. I just cant remember what its called?

Tony?

Edson?

One of you must remember the name of it.

SW :D

That's news....it would be great news if you could remember the name :wink: