New for 2008

All,

Just to let you know, I hope to upgrade the weather section of this site very early in 2008 to provide weather information specific paramotoring in all areas of the UK with a history and a forecast.

If you have any particular 'wants' please do let me know (now is the time)

I hope also to have a file share area and an online flight log. (which will produce stats)

Cheers

SW :D

Metcheck do a "sticky" where you could paste a 5 day forecast onto your page, however they do restrict this to 3 links per site, the text is like this so you can figure out how to include it...

I think we included it once earlier last year when HTML code was ON when posting messages

Here is a quick test, this should be a rolling 24 hour in advance surface pressure chart, pretty colours if nothing else.

The ability to click forward through time (on the met office and metcheck sites) is very useful to actually see what is happening and where fronts are coming from, static pictures alone don't give the right depth of information

FSXX00T_24.jpg

good wind forecasts are notoriously difficult to find and often only predict the surface wind and direction. I like to know what is causing the wind and what its strength and direction is likely to be at 1000ft and 2000ft. This can help plan an xc using wind direction change with altitude like ballons do. Any links to such data are on my wish list.

Also temperature and pressure soundings to predict lapse rate etc (but that is more a PG thing - sorry)

thanks pete. Great site, better than the one I currently use, at least its scale is down to 2000ft. But wouldnt it be great to have all that info on the same page and specific to my locality? That was my wish list contribution ........ if the techno-bods can fix it for me!!!!

Simon. the sites I use that could be of help. and would assist me if we could have a direct links are :-

Met office F214 and F215 charts. together with the hypobaric charts (With pressure/wind gradient scales )

weather online services

RASP ( regional atmospheric soaring predictions for uk by Paul Scorer )

Dave Billingtons cross country weather

and www.sat.dundee.ac.uk ( good range of sat pictures )

If we could have links to these it would save me a lot of time.

Some of the charts give wind speed variance with altitude, and direction change.

Can't remember who wrote that each isobar that passes over the UK represents 5MPH. It's not quite that simple, It's related to the spacing between isobars, the wider they are apart the slower the wind speed. If you look at the Met Office Charts with the scales on the side, you can measure the distance against the scale and get a predicted windspeed.

Hi Francis.

Try looking at the F214 and F215 charts on the Met Office site, you will have to register but it is free. They give front movement and altitude winds. Also the RASP site has seamless charts that show wind speed variance with altitude, together with the change in direction, and can be animated into a 24hr loop.

Unfortunately what no chart can show is the local ground affect ( Micro climate ) and it has been known for them to be wrong

Francis, as well as Metform 214 and 215 on the Met Office website have a look at the ballooning forecast as it gives a good synopsis of the stability of the airmass.