iPhone to NAC headset??

Hi Guys,

Anyone had any luck connecting their iPhone to a NAC helmet with Peltor NC headset?

Headset works great at reducing motor noise, also works well with 2m radio, looking for a connector to work with my iphone which also has a talk/answer button on it. Also preferably a switch box so that I can have the phone and the 2m connected at the same time but switchable??

Any suggestions?

:wingover::wingover::wingover:

Any ideas Alan?

:dive::dive:

Im sure Alan will come up with some thing.

If your normal headphones for the Iphone has a mike in the line just put these in your ears first then your headset over the top then try to get the mic set up as close to your mouth as you can.

I did this once and could hear clearly but the other person said there was a lot of back ground noise when I was talking.

I cant think why :D:D

Looking into it now. I have the connections for the iphone (4 circuit 3.5mm jack plug - correct me if I'm wrong), does the Peltor headset have the 'standard' 3.5mm phones and 2.5mm microphone jack plugs on?

Cheers,

Alan

OK I have all the connection details now (isn't t'web a marvelous thing).

Does the peltor headset have stereo on the phones? i.e. is the 3.5mm plug a stereo one with tip-ring-sleeve, 3 connections?

Would the talk/answer button be OK on the switch box, that will be easier to fabricate than an in-line button, and more durable.

Work out what length of cable you want to go to the iphone and the radio and consider where you want to mount the switch box, maybe velroed to the harness somewhere?

I'll let you know what connectors I need,

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I presume the headset is mono, both the mic and the phones jack have just two connectors. The talk answer button is fine on the box.

It would be logical to mount the switch box to the left side of the harness on velcro and for the peltor 2 pin cable to plug directly into it. Then I would need 24 inches of cable to the iphone and the radio. Then a switch on the front to select radio/iPhone (Unless auto switching was possible) and a talk/answer button. Presumably when on radio the PTT switches on the headset would still work??

Have sent off for the first of the cables.

Thanks

and for the peltor 2 pin cable to plug directly into it

No problem.

Then I would need 24 inches of cable to the iphone and the radio. Then a switch on the front to select radio/iPhone

24 inches it is, switch on the top as box not deep enough for the front.

Unless auto switching was possible and a talk/answer button. Presumably when on radio the PTT switches on the headset would still work??

Auto switching only possible with additional electronics plus battery....sorry.

Talk/answer button on the front of the box, suitable for gloved hand.

PTT on headset works as normal.

Additional parts required: All Maplin part numbers

One off HF82D 3.5mm mono chassis socket

One off HF78K 2.5mm mono chassis socket

Two off QT65V 3.5mm 4 pole jack plug (to cover all eventualities)

I have had a stock of these type of connectors but I've used them all modifying my own radios for sidetone :|

Cheers,

Alan

Hi FlyingDoc,

As this switch box is in the part made state you can have it bespoke as to where the cables come out 8)

The headset will plug into the bottom side as shown by the twin plug on the photo. You can orient it any way you wish and the cables can exit on any side you like, the choice is yours :D

Hi Alan,

Can the cables exit out the bottom, next to the two pin sockets.

I can put some sticky velcro on the back and point the main switch up so it is easy to see which way the switch is set.

Looks cool, thanks.

Maplins stuff is on its way here, will forward it on to you as it arrives. May decide to send the radio too.

If I wanted to switch the radio cable later for a different version is that easy to do?

Thanks

:wingover::wingover::wingover:

If I wanted to switch the radio cable later for a different version is that easy to do?

Yes you or another will have to rewire or change the jack plug, or use an adapter.

Here is the circuit for other budding constructors:

Alan, what do the 2 x 1nF capacitors do in the circuit?

I wondered if anyone would ask that.

They are there to help prevent radio frequency interference. Although there are components in the radio to prevent the RF getting back in and screwing things up, it is always a good idea to fit decoupling capacitors in any external wiring that can act as an external antenna.

Also if the contact resistance of the jack sockets is not very low, maybe due to wear or dirty contacts, the capacitors prevent any rectification of the RF which can lead to pops clicks and other extraneous noises.

Don't forget the RF is quite strong due to the proximity of the antenna and the microphone circuit is by necessity quite sensitive, so any non-linearities in the resistance of any contacts can prove troublesome.

Cheers,

Alan

One mans wizardry is another mans engineering :D

Thankyou, an excellent explanation. I am in the process of making some adapters right now and will look at using these but the space to fit them is exceedingly tight (inside a 6 pin mini-DIN connector).

Also can I verify that is 1 nano farad?