Where to try different Paramotors

Dave24

Where's the best place to go to try different Paramotors?

Not necessarily to fly them but to try them for weight, feel, etc

I've done my training and now need to buy the equipment. I'd rather not wait until November for an exhibition.

Are there any fly-ins, large meetings, dealers, etc. that present a good opportunity to have a look and try for size?

I live in Leeds.

Dave

Hi Dave, although I've had a motor for 6 years I am in the same boat, in that I want to get a new one. Keep an eye on the forums for fly-ins, its about as much as can be done. I read loads of posts re opinions and the only solid conclusion is that my next motor will not be a heavy one and probably will have high hang points. I currently fly a Rad MXL which caused much grief for the first 6 months but its problems were ironed out with time. The best advice I can say is not to choose a particular machine because everyone down the local field has one - it doesnt always follow that there ar'nt better ones.

Nige

Now that is true, but....

It helps with spare props, plugs, starters, belts and so on... there is a good pool of spares kept by a group of owners.

Between us here, we have all the Parajet spares we will need for a field repair for sure (maybe even a mini expedition)

SW :D

Nigel,

Thanks for your input.

Can I ask you to say a bit more about two of the points you made:

1. My next motor will not be a heavy one

2. It will probably have high hang points

Also;

3. What do you think of Rad? Would you get another, or is it a make you would personally avoid?

Dave

Where's the best place to go to try different Paramotors?

Not necessarily to fly them but to try them for weight, feel, etc

I've done my training and now need to buy the equipment. I'd rather not wait until November for an exhibition.

Are there any fly-ins, large meetings, dealers, etc. that present a good opportunity to have a look and try for size?

I live in Leeds.

Dave

Hello Dave,

If you live in Leeds we fly from Leven near Kingston upon Hull and have a good selection of paramotors which include 5 Parajets 2 H&Es a walkerjet a Pap a G6 and a solo 210 if you want to pop over next time its a good flying day.

One of our members travels from the Leeds area to fly with us let me know , Alan.

:roll: I liked that last comment in Nigel's post. Sorry Si

btw. Dont mean to be smug but your last post implies high running costs ????

DG :|

Yes of course Dave, but then you would say that given half a chance. :-)

I have spent less than £110 on my Parajet in the last year. (much by my own choosing) for the record.

I think you know what I mean, if your flatty decided to eat some lines and then snap the belt at our field, you would be stuffed.

If the same happend to me, I would borrow one of the ones that was stuffed in someones glove box.

SW :D

:D You are right there Simon. And I am much too smug. £ 10 for the last 18 months. 100 hours. First spark plug, drive belt, everything. I must admit to carrying a spare prop, starter motor (surprised I haven't needed that) and a carb, incase the other blocks a jet. I expect to change the plug soon but the belts showing no sign of wear. I hope they're as good as car cambelts ! I'd hope to kill the motor before the lines get in the prop but it can happen. Ground handling's the key to that senario.

Dave

( The Rolls Royce of Paramotors) :!:

Dave24, my rad is particularly light, which is handy if i have to walk some distance to the take off from my car. I think the only main reason for changing it is power, not so much to make launching quicker but mainly to get height back quicker if I should try a little low flying. The rad is much maligned but it does have a number of good points, it fits in my Zafira with no dis-assembly, prop breakage will only set you back about 15 quid a blade, the radne engine is not the most powerful for its capacity but is reliable. Any bits you might need are easily obtainable and replaced. Mine has an over the shoulder pull start which can be restarted in flight - no flat battery or busted starter to ruin your day. So when I eventually do change my motor I will enjoy new advantages but I will also leave some good points behind. As for the high hang points, its all I have ever flown with.