SAFETY NOTICE - Low Hang Points

norman

This came from the Paramotor Magazine Forum, I thought it deserved an airing here as the recovery and subsequent landing are worth reading. It was posted by Paul Haxby of AXB Sports oop there in Yorkshire.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE TO REMIND ALL PEOPLE WHO OWN PARAMOTORS WITH ALL LOW HANG POINT SYSTEMS - PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WITH MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW.

ALL PILOTS MUST COMPLETE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE AND ROUTINE PRE FLIGHT CHECKS ON FLYING EQUIPMENT.

FOR PEOPLE WITH LOW HANG POINT PARAMOTORS IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE TO CONVERT TO A HIGH HANG POINT SYSTEM (MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW).

Paul Haxby

AXB Sports Ltd

Tel: +44 (0)1302 880496

Mobile: 07946 548292

Email: info@axbsports.com

----- Original Message -----

To: Paul Haxby

Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 10:17 PM

Subject: Weight shift failure

Hi Paul,

Been thermaling with my Sperwill machine today over the Berwyns & my weight shift arm broke at the pivot, the m8 allen bolt sheared off. The arm moved outwards first & then broke off with me grabbing hold of it! But the design is such that it won't seperate from the glider but moves the risers nearly out of reach, after turning off the trimmers I could steer fairly well with the motor nearly horizontal under me & I could get the motor in the right place by standing in the harness.

Trouble was I was too high to land in the big field in front & tried some S turns to lose height, ok until I turned into the side that hadn't broke & the glider spun, me going backwards & dropping like a stone, recovery was instant & I was at the right height to land ok if a bit gammy!

Spoke to the farmers wife who said it looked like I just fell out of the sky & she was very surprised to find me ok.

Problem is what to do now? My own frame will take the Vittorazi engine ok but the arms are pivoted on m8 bolts as the Sperwill.

Joseph tells me to get an Apco high hangpoint harness but how do you steer the Apco when in reflex? The Sperwill setup meant you could leave the brakes alone & just lean to turn. Also would I have to have the torque arms like on your machines? & what are they like to thermal?

Regards,

Roger Pearce.

Paul AXB

All,

Paul is a great instructor I would never say otherwise! I have heard so much good stuff about him since I had a fly at his place about 5 years ago with a friend.

The Spearwell on the other hand........( soz Paul )

I have heard nothing but BAD things about, the motor, and the after sales sevice. (but in the interest of keeping this site a POSITIVE ONE, I wont rant. )

SW :D