Props

bignos

One of the biggest mistakes inexperienced people make in this sport is prop choice. It is possible to get a cheap prop but you must REALLY need to know what you are doing. Buy cheap, buy twice (second prop will be the one you should have bought in the first place so you will end up spending more!). Manufacturers put a lot of effort into matching props to motors for good reason. If you don't know what you are doing then stick with the manufacturer.

Edited by Guest

the manufacturer does not make the prop anymore (its an old motor) i wanted to get one that suits (48x29 with 17.1* @ 15" from center on a 1:3/4" thick, 6 hole 75mm spaced hub). I need to test the power of the motor (with that prop it should be about the same as my other motor), before i remove the engine and put it in a bigger frame and add a 130 prop. the 48x29 is just a stop gap

I agree, it's crucial to fit the correct prop for your motor, not only to gain maximum thrust but also maximum HP. I know when I was building my paramotor I tried a few props until I got it right.

So that I can guarantee performance, I'm currently designing and building a good quality propeller duplicator (not a cheap wooden copy carver) so I can make myself a few copies of my existing prop, they will be made out of laminate beech and poplar hardwood planking. All going well and if there's enough interest I'll be offering this service to my fellow pilots next year. I'll be able to copy any 2 blade wooden prop.

I might also sell plans for the duplicator and or complete machines, again, if the interest is there.

Joe

Assuming your motor has belt drive rather than gearbox it would sound like you are after a similar (but reversed direction) to a Ros125. Therefore a Helix prop for your machine would be model H30F 1.25m L-M-08-2 with a 6 hole 75mm PCD. You may need new prop bolts to suit the hub thickness but these are easily obtained locally.

If it's a wooden prop you are after then I would look into contacting Aerobat in Spain with the dimension you stated earlier. They make excellent props.

Most manufacturers use other companies to make their props for them. Presumably it is the Walkerjet you are looking for a prop for so we need to either find out who made their props or what props other similar Walkerjet units are using successfully.

its for a fly products power plus with an MZ34 engine on a 1:2.2

Been doing a fair bit of looking around and everything to do with the MZ34 points to Paratoys/Black Hawk and noone else other than the engine manufacturer, Compact Radial Engines in Canada. BH seem to prefer smaller diameter props so bearing in mind you want to put the lump into a larger frame then I think it's worth a call to helix for some serious advice. They tend to work in pitch angle rather than pitch distance and then measure it at 5cm from the tip rather than the standard 75% span so take the advice but don't try to apply their numbers to other manufacturers props as it doesn't work (generally need to add 3 degrees to get a comparison to other manufacturers props which I suspect is due to a different way of measuring). Helix are the Rolls Royce of paramotor props (closely followed by Pulse), they aren't cheap but you are obviously looking for efficiently converting large amounts of horsepower into large amounts of thrust. A cheapo prop on a big engine could easily deliver less thrust than a good prop on a small engine.