1080 HD Camcorders.Be carefull

What laptop do you have Simon?

I really want the Contour 1080 but so far it is pointless unless I spend a fortune on a new computer.

Hi Cambodia

If you are serious about Video and High Definition, then you should go to a Mac.

If you are resistant to that, you can use Windows, but you’ll need a state of the art system. You’ll want to get at least a Core 2 Duo, a big hard drive and at least 2GB of RAM, and you’ll want to get Adobe Premiere Elements. You will also want to use XP / Win 7 NOT Vista.

I am dubious of your 6GB RAM comment, as unless you are running 64bit version of Windows you cannot address more than 3GB of memory regardless of how much you install.

Anyway the main trick here is not to import your video at 1080p, but at half the resolution - 540p (that is 960x540p).

By importing at this resolution you reduce the quality very little, and get a useful viewable size. But most importantly you dramatically reduce the file size, which makes it much easier to work with files. So you get the best of both worlds.

As far as storing your edited videos are concerned I would recommend H.264 format.

If you have a good broadband connection, check out the following BBC wildlife sample video in 540p (yes there had to be a video :D )

Click on the image and select the 480p option (which is actually 960x540):

poster_wildlife.jpg

(File size: ~36MB for 2m20s)

Hope this is of some use, but please PM me if I can be of any more help.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Just bought the Contour 1080.Had it a few days but no chance to try it in the air.

I can only use the 720 setting on my Computer and even that is a bit choppy but paid the extra £100 for the 1080 because I figured it would have a higher resale value and also give me an excuse to buy a new computer :D

Will post some video as soon as I can.

Just bought the Contour 1080.Had it a few days but no chance to try it in the air.
Congratulations on your new purchase Cambodia.
...paid the extra £100 for the 1080 because I figured it would have a higher resale value and also give me an excuse to buy a new computer :D
Good to futureproof your choice, and to justify a new computer :lol:
Will post some video as soon as I can.
Look forward to it :D

Andy