LONG DISTANCE X/COUNTRY NAVIGATION

The pre-event research for Africa would be interesting discovering where the gas stations are every 40 miles or so? But here I agree, how nice to have an adventure where the outcome is... in question. Fab!

Bugger! why do I always look for the problems rather than the fun! :lol:

Do you arrange landing sites ahead of time?

Are there many other complications to flying abroad (besides air space and law)?

Compared to UK/European air space regulation, most parts of North and Central Africa are large open spaces, with many of the individual countries the same size as, or larger than the whole of Europe. 99% of this air space is unregulated and "open".

I recently read the blog of 2 South Africans who microlighted the length of Africa - often they landed at towns/villages that had no airstrips, so what did they do? - they landed on the main street and "drove/flew" their microlights down the main street to the petrol station!

Other than for a couple countries (South Africa and Zimbabwe) and I am told a one or two in the far North, most of Africa has no regulation regards the use of PPG's - yes, its something that would have to be researched, but I haven't seen anything on the net to date with respect to any African country that has a "no fly" policy towards PPG's - excepting as I now see Simon has pointed out: Morrocco which actually bans PPG's!!

.... and now someone has messaged me to say that flying in Morrocco is possible so long as you apply before hand for a permitt.

I think if anything this emphasizes the importance of pre-planning.

.... and now someone has messaged me to say that flying in Morrocco is possible so long as you apply before hand for a permitt.

I think if anything this emphasizes the importance of pre-planning.

At the moment they are not issuing permits. Have not been for the last 9 months and dont intend to for the up and coming future.

Thats from a Moroccan friend who lives in Morocco.

Dont get me wrong, people DO fly in Morocco, quite a few in fact, most of the police types wont care but if you get one that does you can say goodby to your kit at least!

SW :D

....they landed on the main street and "drove/flew" their microlights down the main street to the petrol station!

Oh FAB! Only in Africa eh? Man, what a journey that would be - you would need a couple of cameras just to be sure you didn't miss a bit.

As keen as I am on planning, you can only do so much. I waited for an age for dip clearance once to get down the West coast to run through Nouadhibou. I got it in the end but a Swiss helo didn't bother. As the French were running Jag Ops from the airfield against insurgents up country - the place was rather tense.

The helo appeared suddenly over the airfield boundary from low level and very nearly got shot down as all the AAA spun round to meet the threat. If he didn't have an 'effin great red cross on his nose he would have been Pâté with lumpy bits in it.

The chap looked rather pale when I passed him on the stairs to ATC crew report. :lol:

TIA

....they landed on the main street and "drove/flew" their microlights down the main street to the petrol station!

Oh FAB! Only in Africa eh? Man, what a journey that would be - you would need a couple of cameras just to be sure you didn't miss a bit.

As keen as I am on planning, you can only do so much. I waited for an age for dip clearance once to get down the West coast to run through Nouadhibou. I got it in the end but a Swiss helo didn't bother. As the French were running Jag Ops from the airfield against insurgents up country - the place was rather tense.

The helo appeared suddenly over the airfield boundary from low level and very nearly got shot down as all the AAA spun round to meet the threat. If he didn't have an 'effin great red cross on his nose he would have been Pâté with lumpy bits in it.

The chap looked rather pale when I passed him on the stairs to ATC crew report. :lol:

TIA

Yer ... you quite right Norman. Not withstanding the fact that you'd hardly likely get away with that in even the remotest parts of Europe, you & I would see that in a diffrent light to many others! Oh, they've written it all up and put videos on their website - check out:

http://www.trike-expeditions.com/SouthToSouth/southtosouth.html

Mauritania does allow PPG's - but a permit is required (a formality) to cross the Sahel region in the North.

Yer ... you quite right Norman. Not withstanding the fact that you'd hardly likely get away with that in even the remotest parts of Europe, you & I would see that in a diffrent light to many others! Oh, they've written it all up and put videos on their website - check out:

www.trike-expeditions.com/SouthToSouth/southtosouth.html...

Wow - great link Gulfstream1

A 27,000 mile round that world trek - that is some adventure 8)

Not quite sure how accurate their flight time log is, but that is an impressive speed (~60mph) if they did it in 450hrs.

Andy