Welding/brazing advice

cageuk

Got a little flight tonight with a forward launch yeehaa!

I thought I was winning the battle with attrition on my Rad but it has other ideas!

10 mins into the flight I heard a clacking sound which when I looked behind me was one of the exhaust brackets sheared.

I was beyond comfortable gliding distance from my field so I left it in idle or just over until I felt happy to turn it off and glide home.

I think an unbalanced prop is to blame. I've just received one of those prop balancing cones so I'll have a go this weekend. I'll sort a new bracket for the exhaust as well.

My main cause for concern is that my newish (single figure flight hours) Radne upgrade exhaust seems to have metal fatigue. What I thought was either spilt liquid or rust turns out to be cracks in the bend coming from the ball joint by the manifold with rust leaking out from inside the pipe. There is a crack on either side of the exhaust.

I have a mapp gas torch so could anybody advise as to wether brazing would sort this problem out for me. I've never brazed before but guess it shouldn't be too difficult.

Also would I need to go for the standard bronze rod and would I need flux and if so what type would be best?

If not would welding be better and if that is the case is there someone that would be willing to undertake this for renumeration?

See pics for clarification:

crack.jpg

crack1.jpg

Cheers

Welding would be stronger and then the whole pipe needs to be heated to cheery red and then allowed to cool slowly to take out all the stress that is caused be bending and welding

You could braze it, you would need to get it really clean(wire brush on drill) and use a brazing flux.

Pete b

Welding would be stronger and then the whole pipe needs to be heated to cheery red and then allowed to cool slowly to take out all the stress that is caused be bending and welding

Pete b

Sounds like that may be the best option Pete. Know anyone that can do this? I haven't got a welder or know how to use one!

Also would the extreme heating damage the silencer baffles are is there enough seperation?

Cheers

if you can get it to me I can do it no problem, failing that any decent welding/engineering firm would be able to do it.

There are no baffles in the down pipe or expansion box only in the silencer (that is the last part of the system) and if this needs welding then it is a simple job to take it apart weld it and put it back together after.

Pete b

You mentioned 'single hours' - would there be a warranty issue here? I'd suggest talking to the guy you bought it off first.

GD

Good point

Pete b

Hi Pete/Gordon

Re: the warranty.

Although it's done few hours I've had it for over 2 years. It took me ages to get around to/work out how to fit it on then I had a years break from flying so I very much doubt that Radne would entertain any guarantee. Plus I'd have to deal with Sweden so postage alone would cost a fortune.

I could bring it down to flagpole today if you are going to be there if you let me know where it is and pick it up as and when!

Let me know what sort of cost it's likely to be so I can bring some cash.

Cheers

You mentioned 'single hours' - would there be a warranty issue here? I'd suggest talking to the guy you bought it off first.

GD

Good point

Pete b

Hi Pete/Gordon

Re: the warranty.

Although it's done few hours I've had it for over 2 years. It took me ages to get around to/work out how to fit it on then I had a years break from flying so I very much doubt that Radne would entertain any guarantee. Plus I'd have to deal with Sweden so postage alone would cost a fortune.

I could bring it down to flagpole today if you are going to be there if you let me know where it is and pick it up as and when!

Let me know what sort of cost it's likely to be so I can bring some cash.

Cheers

The cost :shock::shock: will be a pint

Im thinking about going down to the flagpole in a bit

text me your number or just call and hang up so I have it.

Pete 0770 338 1197