Newbie questions!!!!

Hi everyone!

My name is Josh, i'm 18 years old and on a gap year after college. I'm from Haslemere in Surrey and am really getting into paramotoring.

I watched Mission Everest the other day with Bear Grylls and team and was amazed!!!! I loved the thought of the freedom of paramotring and showing all my friends and continued to research over the internet about this matter.

Of course, i found a few obstacles that are in my way and have a few issues that i need help with so am hoping your the guys to do this!

Firstly, the cost. Probably the most common problem with everyone. I knew this sport wouldn't be the cheapest hobby but after looking around i can only find a lowest price of about 6 grand! For an 18 year old with a £5 an hour job....that's far too much! I would obviously want to do the courses to learn and then get myself kitted out. Does anyone know cheaper ways of doing this?

This was my main catch in not getting into paramotoring so if this can be resolved, then i'll head for the skys!

Now for some general quesitons about the sport.

How high and fast can paramotorists go?

And how long can one go on a tank of fuel?

Is the costs for re-fueling alot? and are there any hidden costs after completing courses when your flying solo?

Are you able to fly tandem with a friend or does this require a special vehicle or course?

I think that's about it for now! Sorry about all the questions but i'm sure you'll do well in answering them.

Thanks for your help,

Josh. :D

Now for some general quesitons about the sport.

How high and fast can paramotorists go?

And how long can one go on a tank of fuel?

Is the costs for re-fueling alot? and are there any hidden costs after completing courses when your flying solo?

Are you able to fly tandem with a friend or does this require a special vehicle or course?

Hi Josh,

On an old slow paragliding wing you would probably only get around 20mph but the reflex paramotoring wings get up to around 30mph on fast trim. Height is pretty much as high as you want, trust me it gets cold at 7500ft and the engine needs a tune at altitude but the world height record is 22047 Ft.

Flying time is anywhere from 2-4 hours, four strokes are more fuel efficient, no hidden costs re fuel, infact now all I pay to fly is 99p per litre, plus 2 stroke oil at £12 per bottle, £60 per year insurance (optional) and £45 per year reserve repack, cheap flying really (if you don't break too many props).

Forget tandem at this stage, trust me it's a can of worms !

Ah thanks for the fast reply! That sounds good...are there any down sides to paramotoring at all? lol.

I'm sure i'll fire other questions your way at somepoint but cheers for the help so far.

Now i gotta work on the pricing....would it be worth getting a second hand kit.....it's almost 3-4 grand cheaper!?

And who offers the best courses for money and obviously reputation?

Cheers!

I suppose the downsides are the initial kit outlay, plus waiting for the right weather. Second hand kit is fine if you get it checked out properly but first things first - TRAINING !!

Any decent school will have kit for you to use as you train, so in theory you should be able to get into the air without spending a fortune, and on this journey you will no doubt find good second hand kit along the way - I did. Budget your first £800 on training, remember you may feel that it's not your bag once you have flown, at least you won't have wasted thousands of pounds on new kit....

Simon is not a huge distance from you, plus you can stay over locally when there are good spells of weather, give him a call.

Got a fatal error message which wouldn't let me post on the forum so am pm'ing you in response to your last message.

Hope thats ok with you.

'Ah ok, so what is the right weather? strong winds? clear skies? maybe thats a silly question to ask. lol.

Also, i'm worried about other pilots in the air in helicopters, microlights etc etc.

Is there any chance that we would cross paths or have any fly ins?

Who and where did you do your training, seeing as your local to me?

I am thinking of buying this book to help me out a bit. What do you reckon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1847 ... d_i=468294

Lastly, how do i get into contact with Simon. Is he on this site? what is his username?

Thanks alot....i'm really keen now!!!!'

That book is excellent, and covers stuff like the weather, remember we don't like being bumped around in midday thermals and we like sub 12-15 mph wind days to enjoy a smooth ride, rain and stuff really is not what we fly in. Think of those long hot summer evenings, not a breath of wind, sitting in a beer garden watching the sunset - well that's great flying weather too. Also you will be very close to where the balloons take off from and they like the same weather so keep your eyes open for the big burners. As for other traffic, yes worry about it however we usually have very clear skies at our altitudes, stick to an odd height like 1650ft as the light aircraft are likely to be sticking to easy to read numbers like 2K etc.

Get yourself to the fly in June 6-7 and we will all be there, SimonW is on this forum, also 07983 428 453, now stop asking questions and read all the posts ever made on this forum and you will know all :wink: