Paramotor noise test chat.

All,

Here are the current findings, using a simple consistant test with a callibrated mode A db meter. There were many people in the field who can confirm that. So with the quietest first, based on a total of the two numbers.

Parajet Macro tick over = 67.4 take off = 84.3 (total 151.7)

PAP ROS 125 tick over = 65.9 take off = 87.1 (total 153.2)

Visiratti 80cc LC tick over = 65.9 take off = 92.4 (total 158.3) (No longer in production)

Parajet Compact tick over = 76.1 take off = 84.9 (total 161)

Custom air 192 tick over = 76.8 take off = 87.9 (total 164.7)

PAP 172 tick over = 77.1 take off = 90.2 (total 167.3)

SW :D

Simon, there is one test parameter that you have not said you've allowed for in testing, and that is the direction that the exhaust is pointing in relation to the sound meter.

The procedure for testing race bikes, is to measure the SPL at an angle of 45 degrees and at a distance of 1 meter and on the same side as the exhaust outlet. The direction the exhaust is pointing can have a very real effect on measurement.

Also, I don't think you can simply add together the two SPL values to get a result, mainly because the SPL scale is logarithmic, and it works something like for each 10dBA increase, you will experience a doubling of perceived sound level. Just quote the two values separately, that's fine.

Just a thought, to try and keep the playing field level.

PK

Thats quite interesting,

I will check the motors for exhaust direction, I tested them all from the same side / place.

There will of course be a number of factors that slightly adjust the reading, this is just a ball park test, same field same wind direction same distance away (for a full and propper test we would need a soundproof room.)

To be fair I dont think the take off number will change if the side changes as it tends to read its peek when the motor has flewn up wind of the device a few secinds after take off, so is reading from an almost central point.

SW :D