Atom 80 cht guage advice needed

Can anyone advise which is the best temp probe for the atom 80. I have a runleader unit but the sparkplug temp monitor has broken.

Is it better to use one of the cylindrical probes rather than the plug mounted one? There's not much room in there.

Thanks in advance.

Mark 

hey Mark, I have 2 atoms with over 500 hrs trouble free running, never needed a CHT & when I used to use them on my old moster it was a major distraction & had me chasing shadows. I have over 1000 happy hours of paramotor flying without being scared by erroneous cht readings (in my early days I used them but they tend to be very unreliable)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, simonhunny said:

hey Mark, I have 2 atoms with over 500 hrs trouble free running, never needed a CHT & when I used to use them on my old moster it was a major distraction & had me chasing shadows. I have over 1000 happy hours of paramotor flying without being scared by erroneous cht readings (in my early days I used them but they tend to be very unreliable)

That's very good advice thanks.

I was thinking of soldering a wire onto the body of the thermocouple, to secure it, and then slot it between two fins. The bit that fits under the plug is broken off but it will still work.

But if I find I'm distracted and not looking out for traffic, or I end up worrying about problems that do not exist, I'll bin it.

• 5 months later...

I've got the same probe, and had 2 break now. Waste of time.

I ordered another probe which is way more substantial, but it doesn't work with the ringleader .. resistance is different.

I've now removed the two grub screws from the broken runleader probe, and the temp sensor just comes out.

I've cut the crimp off the other one and done the same. 

I intend to fill the good probe ring with CPU thermal paste, insert the runleader probe into it and crimp it. 

It feels like the new probe ring will last, it's much thicker. Time will tell whether this works.

Did you find a solution? 

39 minutes ago, paraflyer17 said:

I ordered another probe which is way more substantial, but it doesn't work with the ringleader .. resistance is different.

I've now removed the two grub screws from the broken runleader probe, and the temp sensor just comes out.

I intend to fill the good probe ring with CPU thermal paste, insert the runleader probe into it and crimp it. 

It feels like the new probe ring will last, it's much thicker. Time will tell whether this works.

Did you find a solution? 

I ordered a Trail Tech probe and display, as they appear to be held in higher regard compared to the Runleader. I ordered it from a UK supplier and it never arrived so, after a PayPal dispute, got my money back.

After taking advice I decided not to bother. 

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2023 at 20:07, paraflyer17 said:

Did you find a solution? 

I know this is old but just in case anyone is interested, those Runleader style gauges use a PT100 style temp sensor which you can buy on ebay for about £3 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262769648218). I removed the dead sensor from my existing spark plug ring mount, drilled it out  with a 3.5mm drill and pushed the replacement probe in with some rtv. Been working for a few months now no issue.

2 hours ago, PaulLewis said:

I know this is old but just in case anyone is interested, those Runleader style gauges use a PT100 style temp sensor which you can buy on ebay for about £3 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262769648218). I removed the dead sensor from my existing spark plug ring mount, drilled it out  with a 3.5mm drill and pushed the replacement probe in with some rtv. Been working for a few months now no issue.

Mmm might order one, thanks for the heads up Paul

15 hours ago, PaulLewis said:

Good info. But I'm a little confused as to how you'd use it for a CHT probe?

The problem with the original is the ring snaps, the sensor is actually ok. 

Assuming the original ring is ok, I guess it depends on the diameter of this probe and whether it fits. Presumably it needs to fit against the metal snugly to transfer heat. In my case I'm going to fill with thermal paste for CPUs. It looked like the original manufacturer had used something similar.