Dudek wing loading

Can someone help me understand wing loading, and how it affects handling, particularly on Dudek wings.

As an example, the Solo 24 has a weight range 80-130, but with a 'experienced user' of 160kg

The Solo 27 is 100-160, with an 'experienced user' weight of 200kg.

I can't really tell what the Dudek definition is of an 'experienced user', other than "*** Note – the canopy significantly changes its behavior with increasing wing loading. The greater the loads, the greater skill and concentration of the pilot are  required."

What does this mean in reality?

Apart from higher speed and less fuel efficiency, how will the flying characteristics differ flying a Solo 24 at say 145kg instead of say 115kg?

Will it more or less stable in the air, both left and right and forward/back oscillations?

Will it be more or less resistant to collapse?

Will it handle more sharply, and more like an intermediate wing the more loaded it is?

And would running the Solo at 145kg make it handle more like say a nucleon flown in the midrange, or is the Nucleon always going to be quicker/more spicy irrespective of loading?

What does it all mean in practice? For the purposes of the Solo (a beginner > mild intermediate wing) should the max load be treated as 130kg or 160kg? It all seems a little confusing, and ends up being a huge weight range.

My take on your questions:

17 hours ago, paraflyer17 said:

** Note – the canopy significantly changes its behavior with increasing wing loading. The greater the loads, the greater skill and concentration of the pilot are  required."

The wing will react more with the same pilot input, so small and gentle inputs are required when heavily loaded.

18 hours ago, paraflyer17 said:

Apart from higher speed and less fuel efficiency, how will the flying characteristics differ flying a Solo 24 at say 145kg instead of say 115kg?

Will it more or less stable in the air, both left and right and forward/back oscillations?

Will it be more or less resistant to collapse?

It is likely to be more stable and will be more resistant to collapse, however you don't get this for free. If you do suffer a collapse it will be way more dynamic when heavily loaded.

Will it handle more sharply, and more like an intermediate wing the more loaded it is?

Yes. I can't comment on the Nucleon as I have never flown one.

For the purposes of the Solo (a beginner > mild intermediate wing) should the max load be treated as 130kg or 160kg?

I would say yes, the 160kg range is intended for trike flying I think.

• Like 1