Ozone Roadster 3 - which size?

icl

Hello!
I have purchased a Roadster 3 (24m) but now, looking at the PPG weight range, I'm wondering whether I should have purchased the 26m wing instead as I am afraid that the 24m wing might be too dynamic for me. My PPG all-up weight is 106kg. I have 40 flights paragliding experience but my last flight was 3 years ago. I currently have 7 PPG flights with my paragliding wing (Advance Alpha 5, 26m). With the 24m Roadster 3, my all-up weight falls in the upper part of the weight range (which is 65-120kg, the middle being 92.5kg), and just below the middle of the weight range for the 26m wing (80-140kg, with the middle at 110kg). The reason I purchased the 24m wing is because I initially thought about using the Roadster for both PPG and PG (with the 24m wing my PG weight is good). However, I have reconsidered and have decided that if I continue to paraglide, I'll use my Advance wing.

My flying interests are mostly leisurely and eventually XC. I fly mostly at sea level (in Greece) and would eventually like to fly higher up in the mountains.

Any advice?

thanks

Edited by icl

I'd say it's about right, I currently fly a spyder. My all up is around 140kg with max of 160 on the glider. I don't feel very heavy on the wing at all - it's a bit slow if anything. I've ordered a speedster 3 26m which will put me at the top end of the weight on that.

2 hours ago, richjones said:

I'd say it's about right, I currently fly a spyder. My all up is around 140kg with max of 160 on the glider. I don't feel very heavy on the wing at all - it's a bit slow if anything. I've ordered a speedster 3 26m which will put me at the top end of the weight on that.

That feels reassuring! Your wing is more heavily loaded at 5kg/m2 compared to mine at 4.4kg/m2. So that makes me feel better!

When you say that it's a bit slow, do you mean in terms of speed or responsiveness?

Both really. I can’t keep up with others I fly with, even trimmed out. It is a lovely wing to handle and fly and although it’s fairly responsive on wing tip steering I just want something slightly more agile. I suppose as I’m over 100 flights now I’m ready to progress that’s all. 

• 2 months later...