Places to fly in Berkshire/Hampshire

All,

I am feeling a bit depressed with the amount of places I can fly from...at the moment I have no LZ available. I am based between Basingstoke/Newbury/Reading. I haven't had any airtime for weeks. Are there any clubs/airfields/fields that anyone could suggest to fly from? I would really appreciate some help :-)  (I have contacted all of my local airfields and no one allows PPG :-(  )

Many thanks...

Guildford if you don’t mind the travel time . 
field known as Barry’s , use it as much as you want , there’s a few rules to stick by and you’d need to make contact with owner Barry . 
you'll need a vario ,  but he’ll explain to  Do’s and don’t’ s , nice place to fly , 07884 261108 .

cas .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cas_whitmore said:

Guildford if you don’t mind the travel time . 
field known as Barry’s , use it as much as you want , there’s a few rules to stick by and you’d need to make contact with owner Barry . 
you'll need a vario ,  but he’ll explain to  Do’s and don’t’ s , nice place to fly , 07884 261108 .

cas .

Thanks Cas, I will make contact with Barry!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gunter

I have also been struggling to find a place east of Reading. I'm trying to find a place that is a few minutes from home for after work sunset flights during summer. Emailed a few local cricket and rugby clubs. Those that answered wanted about £50 for one take off and landing. Emailed two parish councils. Twyford replied saying no to all parks and greens under their responsibility. The other has not responded, but I've used one park in their constituency.

I taken off from this parish council park 3 times in December and early January. It has a primary school on its boundary. The 3rd time I used it was a Friday where I had a run in with who I think was one of the teachers. The crux of the conversation was around permission to use the park. In the end I took off after she had called the police, however I was polite and discussed all her concerns although agreed to disagree even with the threat of the police. My point of view was that I have a right to use public land for recreation purpose as foot-ballers and dog walkers do, unless there is a sign explicitly stating what the park can or cannot be used for. I am not sure of this, but I'm going to push the boundaries a bit.

Long story short, I intend pushing the limits a bit on public lands, but I have also identified a few local farms I intend visiting shortly, simply from looking at Google maps. I will keep you posted if I come across any that allow their use. Also, Windy app has linked to a database that list, what looks like Paragliding sights. I intend to visit them in the summer and test the waters. Again, will let you know.

Also, I have seen two pilots fly from Basingstoke direction to Reading along the A33. If they are in this forum it would be nice if they could share some info if the site is not too sensitive about number of pilots.

Regards,

JC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

Hi Gunter

I have also been struggling to find a place east of Reading. I'm trying to find a place that is a few minutes from home for after work sunset flights during summer. Emailed a few local cricket and rugby clubs. Those that answered wanted about £50 for one take off and landing. Emailed two parish councils. Twyford replied saying no to all parks and greens under their responsibility. The other has not responded, but I've used one park in their constituency.

I taken off from this parish council park 3 times in December and early January. It has a primary school on its boundary. The 3rd time I used it was a Friday where I had a run in with who I think was one of the teachers. The crux of the conversation was around permission to use the park. In the end I took off after she had called the police, however I was polite and discussed all her concerns although agreed to disagree even with the threat of the police. My point of view was that I have a right to use public land for recreation purpose as foot-ballers and dog walkers do, unless there is a sign explicitly stating what the park can or cannot be used for. I am not sure of this, but I'm going to push the boundaries a bit.

Long story short, I intend pushing the limits a bit on public lands, but I have also identified a few local farms I intend visiting shortly, simply from looking at Google maps. I will keep you posted if I come across any that allow their use. Also, Windy app has linked to a database that list, what looks like Paragliding sights. I intend to visit them in the summer and test the waters. Again, will let you know.

Also, I have seen two pilots fly from Basingstoke direction to Reading along the A33. If they are in this forum it would be nice if they could share some info if the site is not too sensitive about number of pilots.

Regards,

JC

Jean-Claude, sounds like you have been having some adventures! I did manage to speak to Chiltern Airsports and they are willing to let us fly there. The membership is £200 a year and you need to have PI insurance. I quite like that option as it's a well kept field with facilities. Let me know how it goes with the farmers!

3 hours ago, Gunter Pibernik said:

Jean-Claude, sounds like you have been having some adventures! I did manage to speak to Chiltern Airsports and they are willing to let us fly there. The membership is £200 a year and you need to have PI insurance. I quite like that option as it's a well kept field with facilities. Let me know how it goes with the farmers!

I like the £200 a year if it were closer to me, but Chiltern seems a bit close to RAF Benson (Helicopter base). Also when I spoke to the owner/manager he mentioned that he would not permit use unless I carried a radio for contact with RAF Benson. Too complicated for my liking.

You could try Brimpton Airfield, just west of Aldermaston village. I had a quick chat with the contact person on their website a few years back and he was open then to a discussion about paramotors 'possibly' flying from there. I didn't follow it up as it's a little too far away for me to use on a regular basis.

He did say the other members would have to agree to paramotors once they know a bit more about us, how we'd interact with the GA planes, etc, and that you'd have to take out annual club membership for sure, c. £140 I think it was then. I think they'd had some exposure to paramotors flying through their GA circuit unknowingly, so might be a hard sell.

Worth a shout unless anyone knows it's a no go since then.

1 hour ago, steve342 said:

You could try Brimpton Airfield, just west of Aldermaston village. I had a quick chat with the contact person on their website a few years back and he was open then to a discussion about paramotors 'possibly' flying from there. I didn't follow it up as it's a little too far away for me to use on a regular basis.

He did say the other members would have to agree to paramotors once they know a bit more about us, how we'd interact with the GA planes, etc, and that you'd have to take out annual club membership for sure, c. £140 I think it was then. I think they'd had some exposure to paramotors flying through their GA circuit unknowingly, so might be a hard sell.

Worth a shout unless anyone knows it's a no go since then.

Steve, I have spoken to them already and it was a no :-(