itv billy pilots?

geckofly

Im looking at the ITV Billy wing as a next choice after a good few years on a speedster. Im struggling to find much user experience beyond that its a fast easy launching wing there is 

a ojovolador  review  and a few bits and pieces but i wouldnt mind hearing from pilots who have a bit of experience flying it 

I bought an ITV Billy from my local dealer in Kent who gave me a good deal. This wing is in addition to my ITV boxer 2, and so far very impressed with it. Easy launch, although quick so need to be on brakes. Nice glide 10/1 for landing and very agile in air. Speed wise its amazing when fully trimmed out and using tip steer. Nice quality and reasonable price.

I went for small so very much fully loaded, very happy so far. 

Edited by Atko

18 hours ago, Atko said:

I bought an ITV Billy from my local dealer in Kent who gave me a good deal. This wing is in addition to my ITV boxer 2, and so far very impressed with it. Easy launch, although quick so need to be on brakes. Nice glide 10/1 for landing and very agile in air. Speed wise its amazing when fully trimmed out and using tip steer. Nice quality and reasonable price.

I went for small so very much fully loaded, very happy so far. 

Thanks Atko thats great to have your feedback ! as luck would have it I had a quick try on a medium last evening, needed a fair dab on brakes to stop overflying on reverse launch , keen to get up there ! liked the agility and the combined steering worked really well without fuss. settled down a lot with trims fully out  as you would expect , speed bar was shortish  but light and no real feeling of acceleration or dive when using it, (wasnt flying with any instruments so guess most of speed range is from trimmers)  loved the trimmers light and so easy to pull on or release, in fact really liked the whole riser set up beautifully uncomplicated with no little handels  and bungees getting in the way . landing was fast but lots of energy retention and yes a very nice glide and step landing .  Impossible to really get a feel for a wing after one flight but  definitely impressed and will have a look to see if any one is selling a low hours one .

Good to hear, my thoughts exactly. I've got a ITV Boxer 2 in medium and when i bought my Billy it was difficult to choose a size bearing in mind my weight as right in middle/upper end for medium , but very top end / over for small. In the end i went for small as I find the small really good fun, faster an more agile than medium. I tend to use Boxer on nil wind days and Billy for everything else. Will be triking soon so will be interesting how small vs medium wings fair. My friend 20 years experience said the small wing would be easier to handle for triking hmmm.   

Edited by Atko

13 hours ago, Atko said:

Good to hear, my thoughts exactly. I've got a ITV Boxer 2 in medium and when i bought my Billy it was difficult to choose a size bearing in mind my weight as right in middle/upper end for medium , but very top end / over for small. In the end i went for small as I find the small really good fun, faster an more agile than medium. I tend to use Boxer on nil wind days and Billy for everything else. Will be triking soon so will be interesting how small vs medium wings fair. My friend 20 years experience said the small wing would be easier to handle for triking hmmm.   

What all up weight are you Atko ? Im thinking a medium as I am  about 130 all up and I need one wing to do everything ! and with only 125cc of power. Only had a bit of trike experience , but I know a couple of commercial tandem trike operators and their wings have gone down in size dramatically over the last few years!

If you wouldn't mind passing on your dealer mates contact details I wouldnt mind seeing what he could offer ! :) cheers  steve 

• 2 weeks later...

I put about 100 hours on my ITV BIlly. Its a great intermediate wing. Easy launches and landings. It doesnt hang back on launch and has a nice flare. I flew mine mostly with the trims 1/4 of the way out for everything except for flying straight line long distance where I would trim all the way out.  Trims out it really picks up a lot of speed and is very stable no tendency to oscillate like slalom wings. Speed bar doesnt do much for the wing, maybe increase 2mph. Its not the most efficient when trimmed out, my ultimate 130cc motor needed almost full power to maintain altitude at full speed. Its also good for learning wing overs and basic steep turns but dont expect to be doing barrel rolls or really huge wing overs, it just doesnt carry energy that well and has lots of stability built in.

Edited by Mitchg

On 16/09/2018 at 22:02, Mitchg said:

I put about 100 hours on my ITV BIlly. Its a great intermediate wing. Easy launches and landings. It doesnt hang back on launch and has a nice flare. I flew mine mostly with the trims 1/4 of the way out for everything except for flying straight line long distance where I would trim all the way out.  Trims out it really picks up a lot of speed and is very stable no tendency to oscillate like slalom wings. Speed bar doesnt do much for the wing, maybe increase 2mph. Its not the most efficient when trimmed out, my ultimate 130cc motor needed almost full power to maintain altitude at full speed. Its also good for learning wing overs and basic steep turns but dont expect to be doing barrel rolls or really huge wing overs, it just doesnt carry energy that well and has lots of stability built in.

Thanks Mitchg really good to read your experience and im pretty convinced it would be a good next wing . what were nil wind take offs like with a 130cc ? and did you trim a 1/4 out for take off as well ? nice  dune skimming  vid :) thanks again

On 18/09/2018 at 03:16, geckofly said:

Thanks Mitchg really good to read your experience and im pretty convinced it would be a good next wing . what were nil wind take offs like with a 130cc ? and did you trim a 1/4 out for take off as well ? nice  dune skimming  vid :) thanks again

Yeah. After I got used to the wing I liked takeoffs and landings with the trims 1/4 out for the extra speed and the wing inflates faster with the trims out a little but still lifts you quickly with just a little brake pull. Lifted me off no problem with a 130cc even launching at 4000ft msl but I only weigh 150lbs. I say the wing is good for talented new pilots with at least 50 flights and it will take you all the way up to doing anything up to slalom racing and serious acro.

On 21/09/2018 at 05:47, Mitchg said:

Yeah. After I got used to the wing I liked takeoffs and landings with the trims 1/4 out for the extra speed and the wing inflates faster with the trims out a little but still lifts you quickly with just a little brake pull. Lifted me off no problem with a 130cc even launching at 4000ft msl but I only weigh 150lbs. I say the wing is good for talented new pilots with at least 50 flights and it will take you all the way up to doing anything up to slalom racing and serious acro.

i now have one on order ! so looking forward to getting to fly it . thanks for input Mitchg 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Atko said:

Did you get your wing yet, and flown it?

Yep ! Had 5  flights so far so early days but initial feelings its very nice ..with the lightness of the wing  makes for a easy enough launch although first flight was a nil wind and found i needed much more brake than used to to unstick! but that was more a getting used to the feel of it . second was alot better ! like the agility.. no acro piloting! so dynamic enough for me .

just my comparison to a speedster .its certainly  not quite as efficient, Had to keep an eye on  engine temp as it was running hotter than usual with trims out ..  Speed wise.. full speed about the same I struggled to get the 65Kmh advertised  more like 60 which my speedster would do .trim speed is way faster with much nicer co ordinated turns. I would say it moves about a little bit more with turbulence but still feels very solid ( you could happily swing off the A lines :))

Climb out was slow, so until i get a more powerful motor!  glad i went for the medium as i think i would have struggled with the small

looking forward to getting out on it again  post storm Callum !

Oh I went for the Red. a beautiful looking wing ..

• 2 weeks later...

65 kmph depends on so many variables, weight, motor, weather conditions etc etc. It's definitely one of the faster wings out there, as stated fully trimmed out it's the fastest wing in my group, inc the speedster. i've had mine on or around the 65. 

On 25/10/2018 at 23:02, Atko said:

65 kmph depends on so many variables, weight, motor, weather conditions etc etc. It's definitely one of the faster wings out there, as stated fully trimmed out it's the fastest wing in my group, inc the speedster. i've had mine on or around the 65. 

Dont get me wrong I fly for fun and not constantly checking speed , just curiosity and your right,  air density , and weight loading  obviously play their part (not sure how the motor changes speed ?) Have to say its a hell of a lot more fun to fly than my speedster! At present have  only flown with it  alongside a roadster and a nucleon ...spent a while circling so they could catch up :) !!