Flying with smoke.

All,

I have got some millitary grade smoke granades and am in mid flight testing with them with a view to using some smoke during the Tip to Tip.

Has anyone done this before?

I am using a 7 foot fishing line, with a 15lb breaking strain (in case of snagging during landing)

We have mastered the deployment system but wanted to get advice from anyone who has got the 'answer' already.

SW :D

dont like the idea of a weight dangling on a line it its hot. fine if straight and level but you want smoke in swirly curvitudes! and that means some yahoo!!!!

swinging trailing hot hot thing coming back to meet me on the swing through of the mother of wingovers would be entertaining for the crowd. Why has he got smoke coming out of his lap mummy? and whats that screaming noise?

They are VERY hot. and you would not have them dangling. The freefallers have them in a structure that is clamped to there foot but with a heat resistant barrier between the cannister and your ankle/trouser leg. The pin is pulled by a thin chord. The thing to watch out for is the direction the handle flies off at. as you don't want it going throu' the prop. and the pin has to be primed before take off, ie squeeze the split pin together so it slides out easier......Other than that they are very safe and HOT.

Mike :?:roll:

Mike,

You do not need to take out the pin before launch? you just do it in the air. (have tested this)

Also, Pascal and the Paramania guys and many others have used smoke so there must be a way.

Francis,

No wing overs, spirals required.

Guys,

We have been testing this for the last few flyable day's I have deployed some smoke on a long line which I rigged to pull out the pin when dropped so that it is 7 feet away before it has any chance of getting hot.

We could always use some long ribbons.

he he you kmow me always looking for the" ooooh dear"!

but very spectacular and someones got to test the system.

Take care mate.... I know you will.

Mike, all...

My fault... The picture above is not the exact same granade. the pin system on the ones I have requires one hand to get it from, Safe via Armed, to Deployed.

Mike, all...

My fault... The picture above is not the exact same granade. the pin system on the ones I have requires one hand to get it from, Safe via Armed, to Deployed.

Is this the one you have ? I'd be tempted to have a longer bit of fishing line, say several hundred metres

Hand_Grenade.jpg