Flying upwind/downwind and its effect on climb rate

Hi All!

My question might seem silly and I know I will get the answer the more and more I fly, yet I wanted your expert opinions first!

so I am on my 10th training flight and the wind is a bit strong today (compared to my first flights), a 6 to 9 kts. What I was wondering was, would continuing to fly upwind cause increased climb rate/ a faster climb? similarly, with stronger and stronger winds, would flying downwind cause me to burn more fuel/ add throttle to keep flying level compared to flying upwind?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Hi Joe

Nope, wind will only affect angle of climb and ground speed. Climbing against the wind can sometimes feel like an elevator, while the climb downwind will have a lower angle, but still have the same rate of climb. You will still have the same angle of attack if you apply the same throttle. Lots to learn as a newbie, welcome to the forum and hope you will have a wonderful experience with paramotors!

thank you #casper for your input!

it looks quite logical what you said! The thing is frankly when I fly also in the crosswind, it really feels uncomfortable, until you think that you are flying in a box of air and the crosswind is moving the whole box, including you!

Thanks again!

Joe