Should I buy this paramotor?

Hi! I have wanted to fly a paramotor since I was 12 years old. I'm 18 now and have finally decided to make the jump and buy the gear and get lessons this summer. I have been looking for a good/safe second hand paramotor as I'm on a pretty tight budget (I am a college student). After looking around a lot I found this paramotor online. I talked with the guy over the phone and he seemed trustworthy. 

I need advice from someone with more experience than me to tell me if this a good deal, and a good motor. Also I am wondering if it will be a good fit for my body. Im about 6' and a little under 200 lbs.

Here are the details: He bought the frame and motor separate and put it together himself.  Its a plastic Renegade frame (I think the golden eagle)http://www.paramotor-renegade.com/parts.html, with an HPR 180 electric start motor with 68 hours on it + two batteries. It also comes with a flotation device. He said he biffed a takeoff when he was first training and broke one of the plastic support arms,  but that he repaired it since. Is it a good deal? Should I buy it? I have attached the original ad too.

Thanks!!Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 3.54.07 PM.JPG00f0f_1SOW7N5ZLKb_600x450.jpg

Edited by benhowe41

I ended up finding a new paramotor. It seems like a good fit for me but I want some advice from more experienced flyers. Price was initially $2500 but it was reduced to $2300 then  I got him down to $2000.  Here's what the ad says

"Runs and starts perfectly. The frame is a skycruiser steel frame and the engine is a simonini Mini 2 plus with electric start. Engine has around 110 hours with a fresh rebuild at 100 hours. Comes with a helix 130 prop. One of the prop tips hit the netting and the tip got splintered and I repaired it and have flown 3 flights on it with no problems. I would recommend a new 125 prop as the 130 is slightly too big for this frame. Has plenty of power and a very smooth throttle. Only reason I am selling is to get a new unit. This would make a great starter unit. I am willing to ship at the buyers expense. Comes with an apco harness that's in great shape as well."

Does it seem like a good deal? If you want pictures I can post some

Edited by benhowe41

Hard to give advise, just based on a few pictures and text.

Already problems with it that he mentioned. You need a smaller prop.

But what I really don't like about it, is the welds for the engine mount. It looks like shit. Nothing that a good welder would leave on flying equipment.

Find a good mechanic, or anyone that is good at small engines that can help you when you try the stuff you are interested in. There is plenty of junk out there that will be more expensive in the long run. Avoid that.

26 minutes ago, Casper said:

But what I really don't like about it, is the welds for the engine mount. It looks like shit. Nothing that a good welder would leave on flying equipment.

What welds are you talking about? I didn't post a picture of the new machine i'm talking about so I'm not sure how you know what the welds would look like

Ben, you are going down a well-travelled road.  Almost everybody who starts in this sport asks a similar question, myself included.  The advice is always the same, do your training and then buy your kit.  You do not have sufficient knowledge to be buying 2nd equipment.  There is plenty of good second hand stuff out there, but there is also some terrible stuff, even dangerous stuff and you are not yet in a position to distinguish the two.  If you screw up buying a second hand car it is embarrassing and it will cost you some cash; screw up buying flying equipment and it could easily cost you rather more................

I can't over emphasise the importance of good training.  It will keep you safe, save you a fortune in broken equipment and make the whole experience a pleasure.  So, for the time being, your research should be about finding a good school.

Fly safe,

Christian

• Upvote 2

Hi Christian! I've already got the training squared away. I have already talked the school/instructors I will be training with, and I will be taking lessons in April (thats when my semester ends). I have been in contact with my soon to be instructor on possible 2nd hand equipment that I'm looking at, and he said this was a good deal. I just posted to the forum for secondary opinions on the gear.  I'm trying to be smart and not waste my money or risk my safety. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression.

Edited by benhowe41

57 minutes ago, benhowe41 said:

Hi Christian! I've already got the training squared away. I have already talked the school/instructors I will be training with, and I will be taking lessons in April (thats when my semester ends). I have been in contact with my soon to be instructor on possible 2nd hand equipment that I'm looking at, and he said this was a good deal. I just posted to the forum for secondary opinions on the gear.  I'm trying to be smart and not waste my money or risk my safety. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression impression.

Teaching my grandmother to suck eggs again!

Good luck with the training,

Christian

• Upvote 1

Ok you've bought it, I know, we get excited and buy things on impulse. Not a problem, lets hope it all goes to plan. 

PLEASE PLEASE, seek some advise before trying to start it. i guess it is going to ship in parts so you will need to be sure it is put together properly a) so you dont break it and b) so you dont break someone with bits flying off. You Tube shows people starting machines on the ground - this is the number one cause of lost fingers and life changing accidents. Make a habit of always starting it on your back. 

PLEASE PLEASE get someone knowledgable help you put it together and start it for the first time. 

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Sounds like things are a bit different in the UK then here in US. Instructors here mostly will steer you away from any used equipment even if it is nice stuff!! Cuts into their income I have been told. Many places will NOT even consider training you if you do not buy your stuff from them..and if they do the training prices jump up because you did not buy from them. Don't even get me going on buying wings...try before you buy...not likely to happen unless you know the instructor/dealer very well or was trained by him. Asking for even $100 off full MSRP on a wing is like your asking for their first born!!! Tough place to deal with from my experience. Rant over.

B

Hi all,

Sounds like things are a bit different in the UK then here in US. Instructors here mostly will steer you away from any used equipment even if it is nice stuff!! Cuts into their income I have been told. Many places will NOT even consider training you if you do not buy your stuff from them..and if they do the training prices jump up because you did not buy from them. Don't even get me going on buying wings...try before you buy...not likely to happen unless you know the instructor/dealer very well or was trained by him. Asking for even $100 off full MSRP on a wing is like your asking for their first born!!! Tough place to deal with from my experience. Rant over.

B

8 hours ago, The Bishop said:

YouTube shows people starting machines on the ground - this is the number one cause of lost fingers and life changing accidents. Make a habit of always starting it on your back. 

Thanks for the advice. I actually noticed how dangerous it seemed for the people in youtube videos to be starting the machine on the ground. I will make sure to always start it on my back.

8 minutes ago, papagyo said:

Hi all,

Sounds like things are a bit different in the UK then here in US. Instructors here mostly will steer you away from any used equipment even if it is nice stuff!! Cuts into their income I have been told. Many places will NOT even consider training you if you do not buy your stuff from them.

Yeah my instructor told me that most other instructors are just like that for exactly those reasons, but he actually encouraged me to buy used equipment (with good counsel before purchasing of course). The training cost did jump a little, but it is still a fair price

8 hours ago, Casper said:

You didn't even try it before you bought it?

That wasn't an option since the machine is about 800 miles from me. I had him send me recent videos of it being started and running. It's the best I could do aside from spending 30 hours driving to go look at it :P The seller is an airplane mechanic so I have a fair amount of trust in him, and he seemed trustworthy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Bishop said:

YouTube shows people starting machines on the ground - this is the number one cause of lost fingers and life changing accidents. Make a habit of always starting it on your back. 

Thanks for the advice. I actually noticed how dangerous it seemed for the people in youtube videos to be starting the machine on the ground. I will make sure to always start it on my back.

8 minutes ago, papagyo said:

Hi all,

Sounds like things are a bit different in the UK then here in US. Instructors here mostly will steer you away from any used equipment even if it is nice stuff!! Cuts into their income I have been told. Many places will NOT even consider training you if you do not buy your stuff from them.

Yeah my instructor told me that most other instructors are just like that for exactly those reasons, but he actually encouraged me to buy used equipment (with good counsel before purchasing of course). The training cost did jump a little, but it is still a fair price

8 hours ago, Casper said:

You didn't even try it before you bought it?

That wasn't an option since the machine is about 800 miles from me. I had him send me recent videos of it being started and running. It's the best I could do aside from spending 30 hours driving to go look at it :P The seller is an airplane mechanic so I have a fair amount of trust in him, and he seemed trustworthy.

Well then, good luck Ben, and welcome to the sport! Might be your best investment ever to start with PPG and flying.

Keep reading the forums, post your progress and ask anything! Buy the books, read the magazines and practice as much as you can. Youtube might be the greatest source for information when you understand the basics, since you can see lots of launches and landings and other useful tips and trix. Pay attention to details that make it look easy for some pilots. Doing all this will improve your time with your instructor and help you progress much faster to become a good pilot.

Oh, and record everything you can, or ask someone else to film you. It's something you want to look at later and be proud over, and also a good way to evaluate yourself.

Best wishes!

Well then, good luck Ben, and welcome to the sport! Might be your best investment ever to start with PPG and flying.

Keep reading the forums, post your progress and ask anything! Buy the books, read the magazines and practice as much as you can. Youtube might be the greatest source for information when you understand the basics, since you can see lots of launches and landings and other useful tips and trix. Pay attention to details that make it look easy for some pilots. Doing all this will improve your time with your instructor and help you progress much faster to become a good pilot.

Oh, and record everything you can, or ask someone else to film you. It's something you want to look at later and be proud over, and also a good way to evaluate yourself.

Best wishes!

3 hours ago, Casper said:

This is sound advice - recording your take offs, landings and ground handling will help you understand where you are getting it right and getting it wrong. Even just with a camera on a tripod and left running.