Fuel line - wire , clamp , tie wrap ?

BWNBS

Hi. 

What do you guys use to secure fuel lines at fitting, and more importantly to prevent air leak ?

I've heard tie wraps pinches the fuel line and can create an air leak. So I'm looking at alternatives. Safety wire, clamps, maybe something as simple as the thin metal wire used to keep bread bags closed? 

(My engine cut off a couple of times, and also had a momentary loss of power when I gave full throttle. I disconnected fuel line at carb, pressurized to 5 psi and after 2 minutes it was at 3 psi. So I want to make sure there is no air leak)

Edited by BWNBS

I use wire hose spring clips - something like this (just for illustration, I've never bought this particular brand) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-Double-Wire-Hose-Spring-Clips-Silicone-Pipe-Air-Fuel-Band-Tube-Clamp-/222287989370

I've never had any problems and have replaced my fuel line quite a few times, and used new clips. They will give you a much better seal compared to cable ties - although I've heard if you do use cable ties then be sure to go round twice.

I ended up changing from zip ties to safety wire (about 0.6-0.7mm). The fuel line connection at the carb didn't have anything from factory (zip ties,etc). I did a quick test and the engine fired even without priming now, and no stalling when I gave full throttle. Will do a more thorough test when the weather is better. 

fuel wire2forum.jpg

On 1/25/2017 at 19:35, BWNBS said:

I ended up changing from zip ties to safety wire (about 0.6-0.7mm). The fuel line connection at the carb didn't have anything from factory (zip ties,etc). I did a quick test and the engine fired even without priming now, and no stalling when I gave full throttle. Will do a more thorough test when the weather is better. 

fuel wire2forum.jpg

just my opinion but if you haven't you might want to bend wire in and wrap it with insulation tape so no exposed sharp edges :D 

On 1/27/2017 at 11:39, kiwi k said:

just my opinion but if you haven't you might want to bend wire in and wrap it with insulation tape so no exposed sharp edges :D 

I have, just took pictures first to show better what I did. I covered them with heat shrink tube afterwards, with a dash of glue at the tip (No heat gun involved ;)
It's just temporary until I get the double wire spring clips I've ordered. 

• 8 months later...