Can someone make a video on how to tie soft links / shackles?

I'm replacing lines on my Ozone B riser and it has soft links instead of standard metal mallions and it's impossible to figure out how to tie them with the rubber O-ring:

http://imgur.com/HSn6dkJ

I can't find any instructions on how to tie soft links with the o-ring as shown. Been here at the field now for a couple HOURS trying to tie this correctly.

I really should just chuck out all the soft links and replace with metal ones. 

Anyway, can anyone in the know post a video?

I have a Gin reserve and their soft link method is far easier than Ozone's. It's also different, at least the o-ring part, because Gin uses the o-ring to keep the soft link's knot in place while Ozone uses the o-ring for keeping the lines attached to the wing from sliding around in the soft link.

I can't use the method a metal mallion would use because a metal mallion remains open during the entire process (until you're ready to close it) while the soft link wraps around twice, so it's already closed during the first wrap even if you haven't locked it closed on the second wrap. 

Edited by fuzzybabybunny

14 minutes ago, kiwi k said:

Fuzzy I dont see why you cant use metal mallions, i recently replaced my O-rings on my Gradient golden 2 and they use exactly the same design without soft link.

I can't use metal mallions because I don't have any at the moment ;). Otherwise I would swap all of them in.

For the time being I want to figure out how to tie this soft link thing.

As far as i'm aware there is No knots to tie,  there's a knot 1 on one end and a loop on the other and just a case of threading 1 thru other and tighten loop.

If you put up a picture of your soft link we may possible be able to see if your doing something wrong :?:

30 minutes ago, kiwi k said:

As far as i'm aware there is No knots to tie,  there's a knot 1 on one end and a loop on the other and just a case of threading 1 thru other and tighten loop.

If you put up a picture of your soft link we may possible be able to see if your doing something wrong :?:

No, there are no knots, but I can't figure out how to thread a soft link twice through an o-ring that's also holding a group of lines in place. There's an image in my original post.

when i change mine i thread a cable tie thru the centre that way they can't escape, if they were like that from original then must be do-able, and yes i looked at your picture and it looks like back end is threaded thru a loop, but without seeing a picture of soft link hard to tell.

I see what you mean  - you have the added hassle of having an O-ring. I have fitted soft shackles to reserves and O-rings to maillons but never needed together, but I think this will work if you use paraglider string or cable tie:

Basically you'll have to put lines through an O-ring, so it's just sat above the lines with them all passing through it. Next thread soft shackle through all line loop ends (for the 1st time). At this point thread spare piece of paraglider string so it also passes through the line loop ends and you have paraglider string plus soft shackle passing through line loops. Now bring down the O-ring and fit it so that the lines cannot move along the soft shackle -i.e so the O-ring has the 2 twists in it (like you see on a maillon. Next you need to thread soft shackle (but not the paraglider string) through the riser (the 1st time). Then pull the soft shackle then back through one side of the twisted O-ring, the line loops (the 2nd time), then back out the other side of the O-ring - you'll need to use the paraglider string to help lift the O-ring up for this. Then fix the soft shackle together and pull tight, like shown in the video.

When you remove the string or cable tie, do it really slowly - you don't want to pull it through fast and burn the shackles.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers,

Alex.

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

I know this is an old thread but as anyone resolved the problem of putting the O-ring over the soft link. I have just replaced an A line on my Spyder which as soft links. But for the life of me I can't get the soft link through the O-ring the second time. Even if I use the method suggested above, the soft link will not go through there is not enough room. 

Many thanks

Jon