reserve parachute - maillon rapide

calcifer

Hi guys !

I've finally purchased my reserve parachute, a gin one-g 42, and I'm now going to install it in front position together with a gin combi container.

I've got a problem : here in Italy seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to find a square maillon rapide for to link the reserve to the harness. Plenty of oval and triangular maillons, but no square ones. I could buy the maillon there in UK (flybubble, where I've purchased the reserve.... GREAT service), but the shipping cost would be quite high compared to the maillons cost......

My question is : would eventually be possible to link the reserve with a carabiner ? I know that the linking system has to be granted for a resistance 10x of the maximum PPG weight (130 kg. in my case), but I've found some carabiners rated for 20Kn, that should be more than sufficient.

Edited by calcifer

The item in your link is indeed intended for routing the reserve bridle to your frame / harness.

The exact routing of the bridle is critical. When you throw a reserve, it opens very quickly (as you'd hope!) and the bridle is suddenly jerked into a straight line from its attachment at your harness to the direction of the reserve. If the bridle passes under your arm, or under one of your hang points, it is likely to cause you to spin over and become disorientated, if not cause bodily harm.

Your paramotor handbook should have details of reserve mounting. If not, contact the manufacturer and ask.

• Upvote 1

thanks ptwizz, but my paramotor's manual is CRAP.

Just says "since the reserve can be installed in different positions (front, side, upper) we cannot specify a detailed installation procedure. Just plese refer to your instructor for a correct installation".

And my instructor, after we've lost our flying site, is still at large.....>:(

Edited by calcifer