Ouch!

Good Friday! I clipped in for a forward launch, (wind was light would have been a walking reverse)

I checked lines were clear took a step backwards and run the motor up to full power

and the result 15 broken lines and broken prop.... ouch!

So Im left thinking the lines were sucked in to the prop

I dont double myself over when applying power, in my mind that would increase

likely hood of lines lying on the floor getting lifted up. am I wrong ?

and of course in nil wind we want to direct a airflow in a general backwards direction

been flying many years and have to say this is a first for me

so in a quest not to have that repeated and to learn... what do people think and do to prevent this happening

I would agree that you have most likely sucked a line in through the front of the cage. :-(

Only ever seen this one other time, on the tip to tip, Simon P managed it also.

SW :D

Are you on a high hang point machine, launch with trims out a little?

I have heard of it happening with type of machine with reflex wings. If the trims are our the d lines are more slack and on the high hang the lines come around to the top of the frame more than low hang which are more at the sides. The slack then hangs over the prop. If this is combined with a bit of forward lean, it could cause a wind in right at launch.

If your talking a wind in during the fanning phase, where your blowing over the wing. It could be due to a slight tangle from left to right or the fanning caused a tip to lift pulling lines up before ready.

Thanks Simon, it hurts a bit less to know Im not the only one :)

I do have a low hangpoint frame Vince and trims are always out a bit for take off ,

However I think will be leaning forward a bit more in future !

Good reminder if needed that props can bite in many ways :evil:

Also, maybe don't step back as much. (this allows the lines to droop 'for want of a better word' in front of the cage. :-) )

SW :D

Agreed! Droopy lines ..the last thing you need :D

Its interesting one line was embedded 3cm in to the tip of the prop

All As Bs Cs and 2Ds on one side were damaged even two brake fan lines , so it if it had kept going it could have been a lot worse :o

What machine is it? I once had a Rad MXL and similar happened to me.

Cheers

Nige

Its a PAP PA 125 1400 machine with a 4 part frame which is incredible flexible ! you always have to be very careful to protect your prop.. my commiserations if it happened to you :(

Maybe see about fitting a bracing bar. I've seen it on a machine, cant think what it was but it spans across from one side to the other thus offering rigidity on powered forward launches.

Nige

funnily I was thinking the same, I have thought about it for a few years !

However this wouldn't have helped in this case as there was no tension on the lines

cheers steve