West Bay / Bridport

tomarnold

Not really helpful to you at the moment, but my Mrs has seen someone flying around West Bay recently. If you find anywhere I would like to know where. My parents live in Beaminster & I have always wanted to fly in the area - although I'm working abroad right now, so it may be a while before I get the chance.

That could have been me as I've flown down there from here a couple of times in recent weeks. But I'd really like to find a takeoff in the area so that I can get a bit more airtime along the coast. I have wondered about going to Charmouth at low tide and taking off on the sand - might have to walk along the beach a bit to get away from people first.

Got halfway to Charmouth today, but the headwind got the better of me and I had to turn back. Some nice thermals about to make life interesting, but it was a shame not to get to the coast.

With regards to taking off on the beach, I believe I'm right in thinking that anything below the high-tide line is free for us to use, so I was intending to take off on the sand at low tide rather than the shingle by the cliffs. I have flown down there many times without a motor over the years, and I can't see any reason why I shouldn't take off on the sand and then bugger off back home.