Top 80

treehopper

Hi all. Anyone know what the top 80 should rev to, I have found a figure of 9000 rpm ! I'm guessing that is not spinning a prop but I don't like to rev an engine unloaded. I'm spinning a 125 cm Helix carbon prop with a 3.8/1 reduction and revving out at 4950 rpm any ideas, just seems a bit low. Thanks J

Hi Pete, it's the prop that was on it when I bought it, (unlike yours lol ) the machine seems to have fairly good thrust but I don't think the engine is giving quite as much as it was, just sounds a bit flat at top end. Plug looks good so I don't think it's running rich. Do you know if those rpm figures are with or without prop, coz I don't think I'll get anywhere that.

Hi Pete, it's the prop that was on it when I bought it, (unlike yours lol ) the machine seems to have fairly good thrust but I don't think the engine is giving quite as much as it was, just sounds a bit flat at top end. Plug looks good so I don't think it's running rich. Do you know if those rpm figures are with or without prop, coz I don't think I'll get anywhere that.

With prop, dont rev it with out as you could over rev it and blow it :shock:

Check the pop off pressure, when was the carb last cleaned and new membranes fitted?

Do you have TinyTach rev counter?

I have a TinyTach that shows a reading of half the actual revs, even though it is set to one ignition per revolution, it seems to think that I have 2 sparks per rev so always shows half of the true revs, it doesn't really matter because I know it is doing this, so always know the true revs.