am i going about it the right way?

Hi, I have just joined the forum to get help with my future hobby of paramotoring and hopfully get a head start with your knowledge.

I have been out for 2 hrs with a guy who has a lot of experiance with paramotoring, however he is very busy most of the time and not available when i could get some more experiance in.

i know there are lots of clubs about who charge close to £1000 for training.

I have been flying power kites for 4 years kite buggying, so have an awarness of the power and dangers of wings and wind.

My plan was to buy a wing (paramania gofly) and a trainer harness do as much ground training as i can this year watching vids and things and then have a few lessons with the motor at a club/training centre...saving me money on the ground handling training.

do you think this is a safe way to go on? any other ideas?

thanks

yes, but if you are spending money on a new wing I would recomend the revo2, its a doddle to launch and you wont grow out of it for a long time, once you start flying you will proberly hook up with others in your area and find your gofly to be slow compared with others wings.

Hi outcast, will this wing be as safe as the gofly?, im a bit safety conscious., its a long way up there.

thanks

yes it certainly will, I flew the other evening in winds of 10mph gusting to 17mph and in nuetrel trim it felt rock solid, its reaction to brake input is docile enough to be very forgiving of mistakes, yet it can turn nice and sharp when requested, for me its every wing I will ever need.

as a beginner your biggest challenge will be launching and the revo2 is very easy to launch, comes up nice and when flying it does not pitch back and forth like my old wing when things get rough, so solid infact you almost forget its there.

There was a time when reflex wings were a bit difficult to launch especially in nil wind, however the manufacturers seemed to have that sorted and the new crop of wings are suitable for most pilots.

you know it makes sense :D

Hi mate

My own viewpoints? And these are strictly personal ones.

Tell us whereabouts you are (approx). Gives everyone a heads up to help.

Before you think of wings you'll need to think about weight (you, wing, motor etc). That'll tell you what size you should look at.

Then ask LOTS of questions. There's loads of really experienced and very helpful people on here.

I'd also say given you're right to think safety that youbreally should invest in some training. It'll be 1K well spent. That should also add to the questions you'll no doubt have in your mind.

Finally be patient. It's been ages since I've so much as got my wing out due to these lovely winds.

All the best

Al

again this is a personal point of view...

the more ground handling that you do the better....because when you add the motor at a later stage you will be / should be in control of the situation..

Dont buy a new wing and go out and practice the chances are in the first stages you are going to get dragged around the field a few times and with that comes a good chance that sooner or later your nice new wing is going to snag something in my case it was a barbwire fence :oops:

get a cheap one for a couple of hundred quid off a dealer or the dreaded ebay...you can always resell it

it will be a lot harder to launch because it will be knackerd but practice makes perfect and when you move on to a nice new shiny wing you will find it Soooo much easier....

practice practice and practice getting at the ground handling.....because its on the ground that things go wrong....generally :explode::fail:

again this is a personal point of view...

the more ground handling that you do the better....because when you add the motor at a later stage you will be / should be in control of the situation..

Dont buy a new wing and go out and practice the chances are in the first stages you are going to get dragged around the field a few times and with that comes a good chance that sooner or later your nice new wing is going to snag something in my case it was a barbwire fence :oops:

get a cheap one for a couple of hundred quid off a dealer or the dreaded ebay...you can always resell it

it will be a lot harder to launch because it will be knackerd but practice makes perfect and when you move on to a nice new shiny wing you will find it Soooo much easier....

practice practice and practice getting at the ground handling.....because its on the ground that things go wrong....generally :explode::fail:

Just had an idea form your reply....

what say i buy a cheap older wing use it for ground handling and use it also for winch tows? there are a fer clubs near me that do this.. would i only need a paraglider wing then?.

this way at least i will know if i like it, and want to commit to buy the whole lot.

thanks garyfreefly.