tangled risers - HELP:(

The last time I landed, the wing(Dudek Nucleon) came down right on top of me when I came to a stop, it was a bit of a mess, lines all around me. I thought it was fine when I put it away but I just went to fly and the risers on one side are all twisted, tangled??? Don't ask me how:(

I've been kitesurfing for 10 years and have untangled a few bridles but this is a little different and the manual doesn't help too much. If I take each line off one at a time, pull it through and reattach it there's not too much that can go wrong is there. Any suggestions, tips?

please & thank you

dd

DON'T disconnect anything (its a bad habit to get into) - the Nucleon risers are a bit complicated but are sorted same as any other wing - in fact easier than some due to the colour coded lines.... Walk the risers away from the wing and just do one side at a time.

Start by holding just the A risers high & clear so the A lines go straight back to the wing without twists (rotate if necessary). It helps to have another person holding the wing back with a little tension, and for the next stage, but can be done on your own.

Shake the remaining lines free of knots so they hang loose, then follow the remaining lines back from the wing to the risers in your hand. If there is a twist, you need to pass the end of the risers (karabiner connecting loop) back through the lines while still holding the A lines high and clear. If it looks worse, undo that move and try passing it through a different set of lines.

If the B lines are now free, hold them high with the A lines and repeat if necessary until C & D lines all go straight from wing to risers. Job done, inflate the wing to check everything looks right.

To avoid it happening again, clip the risers together when packing or put them in a riser bag (I might have a spare one) keeping them outside the wing when you pack it so they can't fall through the lines. Even in nil wind it should be possible to turn or sidestep the wing after landing so it doesn't come down on top of you, but I'm sure we've all made a mess of it at some stage ..... :lol:

I was nearly in the same boat as you after recently trying to wrap my wing around a windsock :shock:

As I stood there staring at the mass of tangled lines wondering where to start, my instructor came over and said basically I had to identify the brake lines from the trailing edge and slowly work back towards the risers... The rest of the lines then sorts themselves out... He then proceeded to do exactly that and sorted 'em in less than 2minutes!

I'm a kite surfer as well and its hard to resist disconnecting the lines! :oops:

Rich

Thanx Aqua and the rest of use guys. It makes sense not to disconnect the risers, less chance of something going wrong. Just to clarify, I was on about my 10th flight with my new Nirvana Cruise Carbon trike, Rodeo motor and Nucleon wing. The trike actually has a brake so I thought I would see what would happen if I applied the brake after landing thinking the wing would nicely lay down in front of me ..... nope .... the Nucleon works as advertised! It will not overfly you. It stalled directly overhead, then gently settled down on top of me. You can imagine what a mess it was. After much effort I thought I had got out of it without any problem. It was getting dark so I didn't check .... and I always clip my risers together on the outside of the bag.

I'm located in Southern Ontario, Canada if anybody wants to come help:) Why am I on this forum. Paramotoring is fairly unknown around here. I know of only one other flier within 200 kilometers of me.

dd

I am sure others have said, but just to make clear. Choose one line (usually an A or brake line) and undo the knots it by passing the risers through, around or whatever needs to be done, when it's undone, the others will automatically be undone too. Repeat on the other side of the wing. Job done.

Good luck.

Stuart.

Good stuff - it gets easier & quicker with practice ..... :wink:

How are you finding the Nirvana Cruise ? Have you flown the Rodeo on its own, (footlaunched) yet ?

I love the look of the Nirvana range and they have some good features, but very expensive here so interested in any owner reviews....

I don't have too much to compare it to Aqua but it sure feels like I'm flyin the best stuff out there. I started last year foot launching a Paratoys package consisting of a Blackhawk 120 HE. It was quite adequate stuff for learning on. Had lots of back trouble over the winter and got diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in the hip so decided to go with a buggy. For those of you that want a foot flying experience with the ease of a buggy launch I can't imagine anything better than the Carbon Cruise. It's so light and compact! The front tire just catches the bottom of your peripheral vision but other than that you wouldn't know the buggy was there.

Thanks again for the tip on the risers. I've had two incredible flights since then!

dd