WEIGHT/WING SIZE

tufty

H iall,

I write to you all as a complete newbie!! although quite a few hours surfing the subject leads me to this wonderful site! i livein northampton very close to you and i am an arable farmer who is fasinated in flight related activities! paramotoring looks like a fantastic way of enjoying this as a hobby, however my size may go against me being an ex saints front row rugby player of some 6'3'' and 110 kgs would this basically mean i would be too heavy to enjoy this sport? if not what sort of wing /motor would i need to do it successfully :lol: and are clubs like yourselves geared up to accommodate someone like myself with regards training or will i need to purchase my own equipment to do so. many thanks for your time.

vacey pocklington

Hi and welcome to the forum,No you are not to large to fly you just need the right kit.

I am sure Simon or some of the other pilots on here will get back to you with some good advise very shortly.

Just off out thats why its short and sweet

Pete b

Hope to see you soon.

Hi Vacey, I sympathise with your situation; I am even heavier but slightly ahead of you in terms of decision making. More expert people will add comments I am sure but essencially you should have no problem; it is just a case of choosing the right size wing and motor.

I am going the Dudek Synth 34 route as that will give sufficient lift so i don't have to run too hard! Clive Bunce who imports them I am sure will advise. In terms of motor, the good news there are several designed for heavier pilots/tandem use. Three to consdier are the Fresh breeze Monster, Parajet Macro and PAP F2. Some people will also say you can get away with less power. That in fact is the problem; everyone is so helpful you will gets lots (and slightly contradictory advice! :) ).

But in summary, you are well within the range for this sport and you have the added advantage of probably having you own site to fly from!!

Drop me you email address via PM and I can forward some links I found or was sent to help.

Cheers, Rich.

110KG....

I am fairly sure that one of my students is equal or more than that weight. No worries, dont even think about it as an issue.

O and Welcome, and thanks for the nice comments.

SW :D

Hi Tufty and welcome on board. You are coming into the sport at just the right time as these days the equipment is perfectly sorted for people of all weights and sizes. As a farmer you'll find that this sport is ideal for keeping an eye on your farm and the condition of your crops/livestock!

Hi Tufty,

We have something in common and I don't farm. I have a Synthasis 34 and a Parajet macro and you would be hard pushed to outweigh me if you filled you pockets with pig iron. The combo does the job mighty fine and can assure you. Fitness is an issue, without strength and stamina in the legs and back this is a tough sport. Being a farmer I doubt that will be a problem to you but it is important to warm up a little before donning the kit to fly.

The process? Decide if you really want to do this sport, if you do, take advice and buy a wing. Having gone that far learn how to kite (fly) it. It is a bundle of fun all by itself and without ground handling skills, the flying would be difficult. As soon as you have learnt to kite your wing, and you may need some help in the early stages, you will be looking toward a motor and other kit. Take the acquisition trail in slow time, get loads of advice and get your hands on as mush of the prospective kit as you can so that you can evaluate it and develop a preference based on hard information.

Last piece of advice - there is bags of really high quality wisdom to be found here. Some of our people are very experinced and seen and made most of the mistakes it is possible to make. Me? I'm a newbie but closer to your end of the problem than some others.

Good luck, its a great sport if approached in the right way.

Hi Vacey,

Northants is just next door to the Leics Club. There are several 95kg (ish) pilots using small fast wings with standard Parajet motors here, they fly no problems. Please feel free to come up and have an unbiased chat with us next time we are flying.... Our club is purely for fun and doesn't get involved with selling kit or teaching on a commercial basis.

You may even get your first lesson for free and get to try a motor on! :D

Good luck

Hi Vacey.

You are not to big. There is plenty of kit available for you to choose from. But take your time, read up on the subject, talk to anyone, and visit as many clubs as you can.

Everyone is very helpful. but you need to make informed choices, and the right ones for you. For example some like to fly as fast as possible, other like to take their time and have a good look round. Same sport but slightly different choices on equipment.

One thing for sure, the sport is very addictive.

Best of luck, and hope to see you up at Leicester in the near future

thanks to all of you who replied to my post!!very informative and a great help! looks like i need to meet a few of you at your clubs and then find me a suitable secondhand wing to practice around the farm with!! if anyone has one or knows of any in the future then give me a shout :lol: but once again many thanks

vacey