Simonini EVO

pete_b

Hi Pete, yes I have a Kobra paramotor with Simonini Evo engine. It is very heavy - but mainly due to the stainless steel frame & cage of the Kobra...

In reality the motor itself is only slightly heavier than the venerable Simonini mini2 (mainly due to the larger exhaust) with a power output of 33 Hp (increased from 26/27 of the mini2) and claimed 110kg of thrust from the 3 blade Helix prop.

Designed specifically for tandem & trike applications so should be perfect for you as a tandem. The engine is more developed and advanced than the older mini2 which has proved to be one of the most reliable units, so the Evo version should be even more reliable and longer lasting.

Very economical (for solo use) with under 3.5 litres per hour on cruise (approx 4800rpm on closed trimmers, 5200rpm open trim / full reflex mode, mid weight range on a Nucleon) - so probably not much worse on a tandem in the right weight range.

About average for noise - I've heard much quieter & louder machines. Although the Kobra is difficult to stand up from the ground, once on your shoulders it feels comfortable and less heavy than a Bailey or the older Parajets.

For solo use it needs careful throttle application as it is possible to get torque twist with too much power on launch or if you snap it open suddenly in flight. On the plus side the Kobra flies dead straight at normal trim and only a very slight turn to the right on full speed bar (more power) so the TEA on the Nucleon is almost never needed.

Hope that helps ? :)

• 1 month later...

Ah right I remember now (getting old and forget full)

If you get the chance I would love to know approx thrust as I have a simonini mini 2 plus and would like to know if the difference in thrust is enough to justify the price of a new motor.

If you have access to a trike or quad use that or stand with a bathroom scales in front of you against a wall (get some one to hold them there) then put your arms(folded fashion) on the scales and slowly open the throttle.

Not perfect but a few run ups should give you a rough average.

ps

Be Carefull

I have a simonini mini 2 plus and would like to know if the difference in thrust is enough to justify the price of a new motor.

After 8 months of flying the Evo motor I've not tested it accurately but the difference in thrust is quite significant. I went from Black Devil to mini 2 plus (both with 2 blade wood props), then a F200 with triple carbon prop, to the Simonini Evo.

At the moment it is running on a cheaper 2 blade fibreglass prop (to avoid damage from kicking sticks / low flying) which is 5cm shorter than the 3 blade Helix prop it comes with. Probably loses over 10kg thrust using the 2 blade, but still climbs at 4 - 6m/s on a Nucleon with full speed bar at 160kgs - at less than full throttle. Pushes me off the ground in a couple of steps.

Still noiser than most though .... might try some different silencer wadding.

I have a simonini mini 2 plus and would like to know if the difference in thrust is enough to justify the price of a new motor.

After 8 months of flying the Evo motor I've not tested it accurately but the difference in thrust is quite significant. I went from Black Devil to mini 2 plus (both with 2 blade wood props), then a F200 with triple carbon prop, to the Simonini Evo.

At the moment it is running on a cheaper 2 blade fibreglass prop (to avoid damage from kicking sticks / low flying) which is 5cm shorter than the 3 blade Helix prop it comes with. Probably loses over 10kg thrust using the 2 blade, but still climbs at 4 - 6m/s on a Nucleon with full speed bar at 160kgs - at less than full throttle. Pushes me off the ground in a couple of steps.

Still noiser than most though .... might try some different silencer wadding.

sounds like Im going to have to try one :D