finally got a paramotor

wildboy

Hi guys, Im Alex from Southbourne. I am about a mile away from the Hambrook site and waiting impatiently for the weather to clear so I can begin my training with Simon Westmore. Unfortunatly the few occasions that the weather has been trainable, I have either been working or the window is so small, its not been worth the drive up to Swindon.

To get the ball rolling however, I have purchased my paramotor, wing and accessories which arrived yesterday. I bought them second hand on ebay and although it probably wasnt an amazing deal it was cheap which was the only way I was going to get into the sport. Today I plan to put the blade on and put together the frame in a step towards starting the motor up but Im aware that without any training or being mechanically minded, I dont know really what I am doing.

I wonder if there is anyone local to Hambrook that could introduce me to my equipment and tell me if I have bought a death machine or not?

I also have a training harness to accompany the wing which will come in useful I am sure. I wonder if there is anything I can do to practice in advance of my first training day so that I feel I am making some sort of progress? Its been really tough having confirmed my training almost two months ago and the only experience of paramotoring I have at this stage is seeing how ridiculous I look wearing a flying helmet and suit.

Hi

Welcome to the forum/sport. I live in Earnley so not to far from you. If you like i could have a look at your kit (i am no expert tho) To be 100% sure about your wing i would get it checked out by the loft or aero fix.

This saturday is looking like it might be poss to fly we could meet up at the field for a chat and have a look at your kit & posss do some ground handling if you like (i am no instructor) but always good to get a head start

What motor/wing did you buy???

my number is in the hambrook site section

Thanks for the invite. This weekend I am working but keen to meet up to get another pair of eyes over it and to finally have a go with the training harness. The main problem I have found so far is that one of the rubbers is missing between the exhaust and frame. Will have to find a replacement. Also Not sure how it fires up as I am yet to find out what to put in the fuel tank!

The ebay listing was [/url] http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/160586218985?ru=h ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Save your fingers by not starting it yet and wait for Morgy to give it the once over and show you safe motor handling.

Worst case scenario is while in transit the carb has stuck wide open and when you start it you get full thrust and it eats one of your limbs :shock:

Not sure how it fires up as I am yet to find out what to put in the fuel tank!

Personally a always use petrol :lol:

Best to ask in the general section of the forum or phone the old owner... (as i own a four stroke) so no idea about mixing fuel

Had a play today after consulting the manual. Seems to fire up ok even with electric start. Feeling confident about using the motor now after having a good fiddle and strapping it to my back etc. Just need to find out how to practice with a wing.

A training harness came with the ebay purchase so im OK in that respect but thank you. Im literally waiting for the wind to go so I can get on with training. It seems though that the best flying conditions are either early morning or evening which makes the trek to Swindon a real mission for the sake of a couple of hrs training. In terms of ground handling, is it permissable to practice on council owned parkland do you think or would I get told to sod off?

Never had any issues with groundhandling.

Its only when practising with the motor doing forward launches people start to take an interest! (motor not running, of course).

Just tell them its a big kite!! :wink:

If you want to drive over to Shoreham, theres a good place just 3 mins from my house to practice groundhandling - wind permitting.

I used to own one of those (I have had many paramotors over the years). It is a great machine that is very powerful for its weight. There are two things I would mention though... firstly I think you will find that the engine is actually an RDM100 and not a Vittorazi Fly Evo 100. This is actually an early version of the Ros100 and has both electric and pull start. The 100 puts out nearly the same thrust as the 125 however due to less boring out is more durable. Secondly, Backbone machines are very light and transportable. Consequently they are relatively fragile and IMO unsuitable for taking the knocks a beginner will put them through. Thierry Simonnet is very good for supporting the unit but a relatively small tumble might cost you a lot in new cage parts.