Noob question

Hello,

I recently inherited a large Trekking Civic wing. In order to start learning about paramotoring I am taking a regular paragliding course. I believe the previous owner of the Civic mentioned that you could fly the wing with or without the paramotor. My instructor mentioned that the angle of attack is different and as a result I can't/shouldn't use the Civic for regular paragliding.

Thoughts?

Also, is there a place in North America where I can get a Trekking re-certified or do I need to learn some French to have Trekking in France look at it?

Thanks guys

I don't want to sound unpolite, but someone needs to tell you this: you are trying to use a 16 years old wing. Even if you manage to get it out and inflate it, and for some reason the porosity is miraculously still within margins, you are talking about a wing whose glide ratio is less than 6 without motor, probably 4.5-5 with a motor.

My advise: make a good sets of windsocks with it and don't risk trying to do anything on air. Just get a much better glider, there are a lot of beginner wings on sale for as low as 500 £, and in good shape.

I just bought a skywalk mescal 2 for a friend for about 450 £, year 2007 and about 40 hours on it.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks guys

LOL Dave, I was wondering if I was going to get an answer along those lines but, to be thorough, I wanted to check all possibilities. If by some miracle it checks out, by Simon's link, it would only be ~$200. I have a hard time walking away from something that might be fine without even looking into it.

I guess this leads to the next question. Are there wings out there that are designed for both Paragliding AND for a Paramotor?

The Paramania Fusion seems to be the one for both jobs. :-)

I have not PG'ed with my Fusion yet but many have. Many in the US are scared of Reflex wings.. so Lead the way and get one :-)

SW :D

Right good thing you corrected yourself with the last post Simon, as I was almost ready to jump on your double fail ;) (The first one being not saying anything, as an instructor, about the kind of equipment Colmain is trying to use and instead point him towards the check point, in a way encouraging him).

Back to the question, Colemain, any basic paragliding wing is 99% adaptable for paramotoring. If you go to any paragliding company website, you will find they have a paramotor version of their basic gliders.

The problem is that if you ask the question in a paramotor forum, you will likely get an answer a little biased towards paramotor wings (with reflex technology). Although there are some you can go paragliding with, do not expect too much from them.

It all comes down to what your needs are: if you plan to do a lot of paragliding and less paramotor: choose a paragliding wing suitable for paramotor, there are dozens of good ones. If you go paramotoring most of the time, get a reflex wing that you can use for paragliding - but again - don't expect great results, as they are very dampened and they don't give much feedback of the air movements, a must have when paragliding in order to follow thermal lifts.

Have fun then but get it done the right way and don't improvise ;)

Right good thing you corrected yourself with the last post Simon, as I was almost ready to jump on your double fail ;) (The first one being not saying anything, as an instructor, about the kind of equipment Colmain is trying to use and instead point him towards the check point, in a way encouraging him).

I was encouraging him to get his wing checked by a US version of the loft (link provided) thats all.

SW :D