Perranporth Cornwall

henryn

Hi all,

Has or does anyone fly near to Perranporth, I am going on holiday there in early November and thought I would pack my Kit and maybe get a flight if the weather plays ball.

Is there any reason why I can't take off from the beach so long as I adhear to the 500ft rule of course?

Thanks in advance

:dive:

Hi all,

Has or does anyone fly near to Perranporth, I am going on holiday there in early November and thought I would pack my Kit and maybe get a flight if the weather plays ball.

Is there any reason why I can't take off from the beach so long as I adhear to the 500ft rule of course?

Thanks in advance

:dive:

Hi Henryn.

Perranporth is a free flyers site and the Kernow Hangliding and Paragliding Club have managed to keep the dunes as a flying site for many years now. It is a sensative site and an important training site for hangliders and paragliders. The beach is large but very popular and busy, half of it is inside Perranporth airfield ATZ so for these reasons probably not a good idea to take off from there.

Give me a call 07772276590 when you come down and we will fly from my friendly farmers field 8 miles SE of Perranporth. We can fly both North and South Coast in single flight. What wing do you fly and what fuel / endurance do you have?

Last Thur I flew from my field down to Falmouth and on to a beach / bay called Durgan near Gweek on the Lizard, I had been diving for scallops from the beach the day before. Then flew to the North coast Chapel Porth before rounding south abeam Perranporth aerodrome to Perranporth beach to wave at the free flyers. Unfortunately I ran out of fuel (havn't done that for a while :oops: ) before reaching my field and landed near a garage at Carland Cross, luckily I have recently rigged up my fuel tank so it is now detachable in a few mins without tools which made a refuel easier :D .

School boy error, I was sure I had enough fuel for just under 3 hours but ran out at 2 hrs 35 mins.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks all for the helpful comments, helimed who I presume to be the infamous Whitters thankyou in particular. I fly a Pap PA125 with an ITV Dakota sport which I am burning 4ltrs give or take a bit an hour, so should therefore get about 3 hours endurance although I haven't tried that one yet.

Flying North and South coast sounds awesome, I would defo be up for that. I now have your no. so I shall give you a call at some point.

Many Thanks

Henry :)