Thanks Nick

Thanks to Nick for letting us share one of his farmers fields today on the south coast of Devon. Nice to fly by the sea for a change. Kept the pidgeons off the vegetable crops for the farmer and his pigs seemed to be oblivious to us air users. Plenty of ships out at sea and an array of small aircraft kept their distance. Superb day. Almost enough wind to hovver over the runway and a bit lumpy for a while. Thanks again to Nick (Whitters brother in law)

DG

Look forward to that Nick. And anticipate enjoying watching your first touch and goes / power landings. They aren't just for show either. I do believe it's a very safe way to land, once mastered, as you can pick your spot and hit it every time, and to a point, soften what might be a heavy or fast landing in unexpected sink. Of equal value too, are engine off at 500 feet landings, with accuracy. Probably not as easy.

DG

Look forward to that Nick. And anticipate enjoying watching your first touch and goes / power landings. They aren't just for show either. I do believe it's a very safe way to land, once mastered, as you can pick your spot and hit it every time, and to a point, soften what might be a heavy or fast landing in unexpected sink. Of equal value too, are engine off at 500 feet landings, with accuracy. Probably not as easy.

DG

Paraglider accuracy comps are typically measured in mm and are from a tow release (500 ft or so) ;-) I think its the same as most things... practice it and you soon get to the point where you will nail it every time.

If you use a powered landing every time, it wont prep you for that unexpected engine out, where as someone who dead stick land will think nothing of it.

Just a thought.

The way I decide is,

Do I NEED to have my prop spinning during a landing, due to wind speed or location? if not then why take the risk? We can all fall / slip over during a landing cant we?

SW :D

I might be a bit more FOR a power landing than you by the sound of things Si. I am really chuffed with the technique, although I can understand how it might be a larger risk of damage to lines etc, especially if attemted by low airtime pilots. But with my old knees I am liking the slow, gentle landings very much. Added to that is that I have no clutch so the prop stops dead with the kill switch.

I did say that engine off landing accuracy is equally important and do take your point. So I'll try to keep practicing both for sure. I do free fly aswell sometimes to add some versatility. The more weapons in the arsenal etc.

Not suggesting you should have to teach power landings either. I think it's a personal choice for later on.

DG :|

Never done one, don't see the point.

If your wing comes in to fast in nill wind for you to run off then change your wing :D

I didn't see the point either Pete. Until I started to use the power on technique. Then it became more obvious. Right handy for getting in to tight places.

My current wing doesn't come in too fast for landing but my next one might ! That would be more of a worry if I couldn't power land. Not all of us can afford to change wings when we want / need to. A squirt of petrol might be cheaper, atleast whilst you're saving for the wing change.

A note of caution. Make sure you know exactly how much brake application it takes to stall your wing (whilst your feet are less than 2 feet off the ground) before attempting this type of landing / touch and go.

Have you practiced taxi=ing along a runway Pete ?

DG

I have flown on full brake at about 2 feet above the ground, does that count :lol:

you should be able to get in to tight landing areas with out power if you practise your spot landings,

but why would you want to land in such a tight spot anyway?

Yes that's almost there Pete. Couple of feet lower and walk on yer tippy toes like Rudolf Nureov and we've completed the excercise. I think it was part of the SPHG but they didn't insist on making turns cos we had a breeze that day !

I cant think of too many good reasons for wanting to land in a tight spot. One might be to get landed as near as possible to a crash victim for rescue / first aid.(Unlikely I would hope but just possible if you were on a group XC like LEJOG ) ?

Another senario might be a forced landing brought about by a sudden change in the weather / air and you just dont want to stay up to soil your laundry. Allthough good airmanship / planning would probably negate that possibility too.

The best one I can think of is just for fun really but my mates misses cooks a lovely lunch and their pony paddock aint huge :D

• 1 month later...

Radical.....You owe me breakfast.....you hungry Northerner....! I'll come to yours on my UK tour this year, if that's ok with you ?

Thanks to Longwing for a bit of company today. Both played with the thermals and I got some nice castle pictures but they wont upload here cos too big. If you want a look I did put them on facebook.

I hadn't quite got my camera out of my pocket at that point Nick. Me thinks I needs the go pro video camera running for moments like that. And wouldn't it have been something to take a still pic off the film with the jet over the castle ? Priceless I'd say

Flying on a week day ? Check Notams and stay high

Your on mate.

Would be great to see you.

Looking forward to Sunday, which looks like a cracker of a day.

Cheers

Steve

Radical.....You owe me breakfast.....you hungry Northerner....! I'll come to yours on my UK tour this year, if that's ok with you ?

Thanks to Longwing for a bit of company today. Both played with the thermals and I got some nice castle pictures but they wont upload here cos too big. If you want a look I did put them on facebook.