Top 80 starting problem.

RobH

I have just dusted off and defrosted my Top 80 after sitting unused for 6 weeks and can not get it started. Have done all the usual such as change the fuel and spark plug. Have also checked the fuel lines for blockages - the filter is fine. The motor did kick in to life once briefly but died as soon as I let off the throttle.

When the pull cord is returned, there is a tinny scrapping noise from possibly from the cam shaft - maybe the oil has frozen or the shaft has rusted...?

Was wondering if it could possibly be the magneto. I have checked the leads and all appear ok.

Any ideas?

I have just dusted off and defrosted my Top 80 after sitting unused for 6 weeks and can not get it started. Have done all the usual such as change the fuel and spark plug. Have also checked the fuel lines for blockages - the filter is fine. The motor did kick in to life once briefly but died as soon as I let off the throttle.

When the pull cord is returned, there is a tinny scrapping noise from possibly from the cam shaft - maybe the oil has frozen or the shaft has rusted...?

Was wondering if it could possibly be the magneto. I have checked the leads and all appear ok.

Any ideas?

you will most probably find the plug is dry? if so it will be the diaphrame in the carb stuck and not sucking any petrol up.

As pete said diagram dry been stood with fuel in the carb,take the plug out ,pour a tiny bit of fuel down the plug hole .put plug back in and it should fire up for a few seconds might clear the jam and let u know it is a fuel problem..thats what i norm do if i think its the carb at fault,,,