Hi,

I am interested in taking up either paragliding or paramotoring, but I do not know which to pursue. I have recently visited a paragliding club and spent a day with them on the hills, but there are apects of both that appeal to me as follows;

Paragliding

• More affordable

• More portable

• Requires different skills that appeal to me as not dependent on direct power

Paramotoring
  • Not dependent on hills

• Greater opportunities to explore due to more sustainable flight

• Ability to join local paramotoring groups and where I would have to travel to local paragliding groups in hillier areas of country

The things that are making me think twice about paramotoring are;

• Cost

• Less portable to travel abroad with (say to the alps)

Are there ay pros and cons to starting with paragliding and then progressing to paramotoring?

I would appreciate any input for people who currently paramotor.

Thanks

I am in a bit of a spin about this

:dive:

James

Hi James, l had the same dillemma when l took up the sport but decided on paragliding first and really enjoyed it and still am but the thought of powered flight and still being able to get it all in a car fascinated me.

In both arms of the sport you do have a paraglider above your head and so groundhandling skills are practically the same for both PG and PPG. but as you know yourself for PG you have to get to a hill unless of course you go down the towing route (another aspect of the sport) The only main difference between the two is that PG is slightly cheaper in the long run but more costly in petrol getting to a hill and in addition hoping that the wind direction and weather is ok when you get there.

PPG, still relying on weather but at least with a flat airfield you can take of into wind whatever the direction is at the time.

Both PPG and PG have a great bunch of guys and gals and posting on this forum is a good start and ther is a mass of information to read from this forum. Good luck in your choice and hope you get to fly soon

Regards Mike

Hi James, l had the same dillemma when l took up the sport but decided on paragliding first and really enjoyed it and still am but the thought of powered flight and still being able to get it all in a car fascinated me.

In both arms of the sport you do have a paraglider above your head and so groundhandling skills are practically the same for both PG and PPG. but as you know yourself for PG you have to get to a hill unless of course you go down the towing route (another aspect of the sport) The only main difference between the two is that PG is slightly cheaper in the long run but more costly in petrol getting to a hill and in addition hoping that the wind direction and weather is ok when you get there.

PPG, still relying on weather but at least with a flat airfield you can take of into wind whatever the direction is at the time.

Both PPG and PG have a great bunch of guys and gals and posting on this forum is a good start and ther is a mass of information to read from this forum. Good luck in your choice and hope you get to fly soon

Regards Mike

Cheers Mike,

I have just looked at the paramotoring holidays at http://www.paramotorholidays.org/ and that has made up my mind. Wow, wow, wow, what better way to see and travel across France than with your feet dangling from a harness, the air around you and a motor on your back.

Get me up there quick

:tripup:

:wingover: