Brake length adjustment ?

jack

Hi ! I'm new here, although I've found the site very useful reading previous posts up to now. I'm wondering if someone could be kind enough to help please?

I recently bought a swing arcus 2002 I use for powered flight which is fitted with the original free flying risers. I have done about ten hours on this now and it seems to fly well under power although I am finding my brakes too high for comfort, ie well above ear height leading to aching arms, this is due to my attachment point at shoulder height, compared to much lower on my free flight harness.

I have read about the power risers you can buy although was not sure if these could be fitted to my older arcus?

Always looking for the easiest option is it possible just to lengthen the brakes to bring them into better reach, has anyone done this or does that affect other factors. As it is I've tried to undo the knots and cant, there is only about 10cm of extra brake line anyway even if I could.

I'm sending the wing off soon for inspection anyway and also my reserve for routine repacking and was going to see if they could put longer brake lines on ?

In short does anyone have experience of adjusting brake lines and is this safe ?

I imagine there are lots of people still flying non reflex/power wings who have been in this position?

Sorry if this is obvious or previously covered although I did a search first, maybe it will help others too?

Any advice gratefully recieved, great site by the way, I'm all for anything which brings flyers together, much more fun. Hope the weather improves soon !!!

many thanks

Jack

Hi Jack.

Simply lengthening the lines is not an option. Brake line lengths are set by the manufacturer and limited by the little roller wheel attached to the riser set.

Power risers or risers on wings internded for paramotoring often have two such rollers each side so that the brake lines can be set for high or low hang point machines. Each wing and riser set is different and the manufacturer or importer or dealer will point you at the manual for the alteration procedure to change from high to low. Generally the length needs to be re-measured and checj#ked after the change is made.

The swing arcus power riser set can be fitted to the older arcus, but I am unsure if it has the lower roller fitted (will check). The arcus manual is online but m ake sure you look at the arcus not the powerplay(same glider differentr lines).

Helpfull sources of this ib#nfo are "the loft" and "Green Dragons" among others, who can do this work for you or advise you precisely.

The Arcus power risers (Powerplay) do indeed have the two sets of rollers. I ran into exactly the same issue regarding brakes being too high with high harness mounts on my Arcus with Powerplay's. I measured the distance between the two rollers and then moved the lines to the lower roller, and moved the brake handle down by the distance corresponding to the distance between the rollers. There was just sufficient spare line length to allow me to do so. Thus the effective line length has remained the same.

From a practical point of view, I can see no reason why you couldn't just add a second brake handle, effectively tied onto the first. As long as you have the same brake line length when the brake is fully up, there shouldn't be a problem (with the possible exception, that the free brake line extension would increase the chance of the handle going back into the prop). It would perhaps be a good idea to fit some extra parking magnets or poppers.

From a practical point of view, I can see no reason why you couldn't just add a second brake handle, effectively tied onto the first. As long as you have the same brake line length when the brake is fully up, there shouldn't be a problem (with the possible exception, that the free brake line extension would increase the chance of the handle going back into the prop). It would perhaps be a good idea to fit some extra parking magnets or poppers.

The restriction of active brake movement that the correctly positioned roller provides is esential for safe operation of the control lines. The rollers also restrict the handles, when released, from trailing behind.

As the arcus risers have two rollers (thanks for that Phil) and the extra cost of a pair of manufacturers control lines would not break the bank. If you are buying power risers get a pair of correct length lines also?

I have the powerplay sting wich is the version of the arcus but for motorised flight, the link below has a price list at the bottom for risers, you may want to contact them and see if you can fit these risers to sort out your brake lentgh problem

http://www.sperwill.com/Swing.html

Have you had any dealings with him?

I live close enough to http://www.sperwill.com to know not to point people there. The site looks outdated.. A warning?

Cheers

Paul

I have the powerplay sting wich is the version of the arcus but for motorised flight, the link below has a price list at the bottom for risers, you may want to contact them and see if you can fit these risers to sort out your brake lentgh problem

http://www.sperwill.com/Swing.html

Have you had any dealings with him?

I live close enough to http://www.sperwill.com to know not to point people there. The site looks outdated.. A warning?

Cheers

Paul

I have not had any dealings with them no, I just stumbled across there site when searching for info on the wing I bought,if they are a bit dodgy then you may want to talk to these guys:

http://www.powerplay-gliders.de/preview ... ws〈=en