Wings effect on Petrol Consumption

Guest leoibb

hi my worth here goes the fuel consumption is affected by the wing you use? i have a walkerjet simonin engine 125 prop and was on a edel atlas i know ancient but i went up for an hour the other eve and i barely used half a litre, i have condifered getting a newer wing reflex but having read the figures it makes me think i would be filling up all the time so its a shame they dont do a reflex that wasnt so greedy on fuel, as for thrust i dont have a clue what it kicks out but its plenty enough, if i was to upgrade my wing what would the recomendations be i want somethin that aint greedy but obviously safe also id like to get places on it the wing i have is dosey and slow

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at a traditional paraglider wing something like a DHV 1-2 that has a good glide angle, see if you can find one with paramotor trimmers. I noticed a huge improvement in fuel consumption when I changed from an Apco Thrust HP (reflex) to a Apco Vista (1-2) with trimmers, it is also fairly fast with trimmers out. The Sky Attis 2 and the AirWave Sport 4 are also reported to be excellent under power.

Paul D

Atis 2 and Airwave sport 4 have very similar stats. Lee. If you do go that route make sure you have a few hours experience first and , on your first flight, get some height before you start pulling lots of brake to turn. They're quite responsive and you could be looking at the ground real quick. Be gentle to start with. Lovely wing to fly though. Atis 2, if you brake hard one side and keep it there, by the time you've gone round twice you're loosing more than 14 metres a second and you're looking at the leading edge AND mother earth, together.

ps. Less torque steer with a good wing too. Less drag. Very thin lines etc

...i went up for an hour the other eve and i barely used half a litre...

Leo, no disrespect but in still air this is impossible on any gasoline paramotor on any wing. Were you thermalling, on the ridge or flying in wave? Could you get a Simonini fuel burn back to 0.5L per hour if it was at idle for all that time? Did you shut the engine down?

well i have no idea it was still conditions on take off it has happened twice now il tell ya why i noticed is because i have a friend who flies with me and he is always filling up i assumed it was cos he was at full revs all the time so i started reading the averages on paramotor wings which is aprox 3 to 4 litre an hour so i started payin a little attention to the fuel and what i said earlier is dead right now i dont know why or how but its right, i dont know what litre tank the walkerjet has but i have done aprox 4 hours on it and i am just below the 4 litre mark so do ya maths, i did consider gettin a new wing but thinkin twice now, the wing is 130 kilo max i am 12 stone so with all gear i aint much under the weight , i cant see how it is the wing only maybe it is the area i am in i dont know , just got me thinkin now i am at the top of a long valley miles of valley and it flattens out were i am so maybe that could be somethin to do with it ?? next time i get out no time soon with the weather lol i will check again and see how i get on but as i say what i said earlier is dead right i might not be too smart with weather and flying but i know litres specially more so with the cost of it lol

Leo, I'm not criticising you I'm just saying that for that to be the case you would need to have some alternate means of energy input. You are describing a fourfold improvement on the most efficient set ups achieved so far with gasoline powered paramotors (and 6 times better than the best Simo) so if this is accurate then you will have the next world champs sewn up! :D

Edited by Guest

well i have no idea lol but the figure i said was dead right i assumed ohh its good on fuel but when lookin at what they do use i found it strange , i dont really understand thermals and things or winds swoopin up which it could have been either of , must say tho i have done aprox five hours flying and aint put fresh fuel in yet as there is still just under four litre in, im guessin it maybe a ten litre tank if so then i have used six litre which is way bellow the average use of fuel so there got to be somethin else at work , as i aint flown anywere else i aint no comparison but i am gonna pay very close attention to it now and go to fly somewere else because it dont add up does it

• 4 weeks later...

PG wing will always do better on mpg compared to a dedicated (PPG) reflex power wing. But ....... there's more speed on a reflex, more stability, but ...... a bit harder to launch a reflex and more stuff on the risers to mess with (Trimmers/Toggles etc).

"Horses for Courses"

Also look for newer wings. My old kn*ckered Saber did 1hr 20min max, My Aspen2 does 1hr 55min ............................ both DHV2 PG wings but 10 years development between them ............

cheers,

Richard