GPS?

rszemeti

OK, I admit it, im in gadget buying mode .... err, and I might be eyeing up that revolutions 26 on ebay .. hmmmmm

anyway ...

GPS .. what are people using thse days? garmin pilot? ... a PDA with some gps rx and some snazzy software? not bothering? ...

I use a windows pda with xcsoar flight computer and airmap (open source) and also a Garmin 76 with an airmap loaded. They do similar jobs but the garmin track log is easier to transfer.

Actually the pda is a phone and a camera also so gadgety in the extreme?

As I'm that kind of guy, I have my old Garmin GPS90 with aviation database, which can still be updated using some aftermarket software to tweak the database (thanks Doc!). It 'only' has an 8 channel receiver, but it's never failed to give a good fix in an aircraft, and it's very robust. Although Garmin no longer support this device, they recently sent me a replacement antenna for one I misplaced, for free. Thumbs up for customer service. If you can find one of these cheap you could get a real bargain!

Then I back that up with a HTC TyTn PDA/Phone (cheap upgrade on Orange) and run GPSDash which lets you scan in and use any map of your choice, including current CAA charts. I'm not sure if that fulfils an obligation to carry said charts or not.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
I use a windows pda with xcsoar flight computer and airmap (open source) and also a Garmin 76 with an airmap loaded. They do similar jobs but the garmin track log is easier to transfer.

Actually the pda is a phone and a camera also so gadgety in the extreme?

Just spotted Stu's posts on the other forum about XCSOAR, just downloaded it for free, installed it on my PDA - stuck in a UK map and airspace and it's pretty good, did I mention it's all free. Will still carry a proper map but it's handy especially round here when we are close to a few bits of airspace.

Download add on's here