Skyecho 2 & Sky demon setup

Hi, would any of you kind fellows be able to help me set up my Skyecho and also help with general Sky demon settings for paramotor, I just seem to be out of my depth! 

I've emailed and got a hex code from the caa, there's a few other things to set up in the Skyecho which I don't really understand either. 

Many thanks

Allan 

What exactly are you stuck on? The set up is pretty well explained in the manual. Log into the SkyEcho's admin page and change the variables as required. Leave default unless specifically changing something. Of the top of my head you need to change the following :

You want transmit enabled, 1090ES receive if you're using it with SkyDemon 

Put your hex code in the hex spot

Call sign is irrelevant as you don't have one but if you're using a radio as well you can put whatever you're using.

Squawk is 7000 (conspicuity)

Vso is glider stall speed

For sizes, keep as small as possible and use Centre for GPS offset. 

I think that covers most of the configuration options.

SkyDemon you need to set up to receive your SkyEcho as it will then use that for location instead of your phone's GPS

Hi chrsfrwll

Thanks for the info, that's helped, I think really I just needed reassurance, a couple of things that wasn't obvious to me when purchasing the SkyEcho 2 was that you need to apply to CAA for a HEX code and also to ofcom for the correct WTA licence.

The hex code was an easy process of emailing and was sent pretty much straight away, applying for the ‘Aircraft (Transportable) Radio Licence’ need some info that I don't understand but will email to find out.

I would really like to setup the aircraft in Sky demon as close as possible to a parmotor so flight times etc would be somewhere near?

many thanks

Allan

On 1/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, chrsfrwll said:

What exactly are you stuck on? The set up is pretty well explained in the manual. Log into the SkyEcho's admin page and change the variables as required. Leave default unless specifically changing something. Of the top of my head you need to change the following :

You want transmit enabled, 1090ES receive if you're using it with SkyDemon 

Put your hex code in the hex spot

Call sign is irrelevant as you don't have one but if you're using a radio as well you can put whatever you're using.

Squawk is 7000 (conspicuity)

Vso is glider stall speed

For sizes, keep as small as possible and use Centre for GPS offset. 

I think that covers most of the configuration options.

SkyDemon you need to set up to receive your SkyEcho as it will then use that for location instead of your phone's GPS

Just checking,

Emitter Category: Ultra Light

ADS-B In Capability: Not used

Vso (knots): 10 knots?

Receiver Mode: FLARM (EU ONLY) if I take the subscription from Sky Demon?

Callsign: I dont have one but has to have an entry, just put a zero in?

Thanks

My settings:

1090ES Transmit: enable
Receiver Mode: UAT
ICAO Address: your code
Callsign: I use my initials and wing size. Means you can track your flight on FlightRadar
FLARM ID: blank
Ownership Filter: both blank
Emitter Category: Glide
VFR Squawk: 7000
ADSB In: blank
VSO: 15
Aircraft length:L<15m
Aircraft width: W<23m
Lateral offset: Centre
Longitudinal Offset: 0
SDA: 0

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

To add some depth to the process for those to still go through the process:

Step 1 - Getting the ICAO 24-bit address from the CAA:

For use on an unregistered aircraft

If you are using an EC device on an unregistered aircraft, you need to contact the CAA Infrastructure Section at NISC@caa.co.uk and provide the following:

• Your contact details (Name, Address, Phone)
  • Type of Aircraft (EG - Paramotor, PPG)
  • The details for your EC device, including:
    • Make
    • Model
    • Serial number (on my Skyecho 2 this is a 7 digit number on the barcode sticker)

The CAA will then allocate the EC device a unique ICAO 24-bit address to enable it to be used on multiple unregistered aircraft without re-programming.

Step 2 - Aircraft radio licence application form (OfW585) - Via Ofcom.

Use this guide for the radio licence. Click to OFCOM

Some useful info from the CAA regarding the type of licence needed:

It is the responsibility of the user of the EC device to apply to Ofcom for the correct WTA licence. The licence required will normally be an ‘Aircraft (Transportable) Radio Licence’ that requires a formal variation by Ofcom to use without a ‘Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence’ or FRTOL. Guidance on this can be found at the website below.

www.ofcom.org.uk_aeronautical-licensing

I hope this helps,

• Like 1