Highly modified paramotor engine

Bob27

So, I am currently in the process of modifying a paramotor engine(radne racket 120). I'm trying all the fancy stuff like ceramic coatings, porting and polishing, shaving all the unnecessary weight, and more. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I probably should have started this thread before I started modifying my engine...

I have done a lot of that type of research in the past. This isn't the first 2 stroke I have ported, I think it is my 4th or 5th and so far I have had nothing but good results. So I am no beginner, but I do have a lot to learn. 

I actually just barely got the engine back together and I have been running it without the prop. It is interesting the results I am seeing already. It sounds different which is typically when you open up the exhaust port. It is also way more responsive to throttle input and I think it would rev to the moon if I didn't stop it.

I do have a buddy that can thrust test the engine so it will be interesting to see how much it changes.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got to thrust test the modified paramotor engine the other day. We were able to hit a peak of ~85 pounds thrust at almost 5000' elevation. This means at sea level it could get a little over 120 pounds thrust. On the other hand one of the stock engines typically run around 75 pounds of thrust at our elevation or a little under 110 at sea level.

I think the next modification I will try is a custom tuned pipe. I'm hoping with a new pipe I can get ~15 pounds more thrust.

Edited by Bob27