Gps speed under power less than at idle

Hi guys,

Has anyone else noticed that their wing at a given trim setting flies faster with engine at idle descending than under power straight and level?

I tested this twice today and both times my gps speed increased by about 3km/hr when i went back to idle and began to descend compared with straight and level flight under power.

Any ideas on why?

I have 2 theories...

1. Increased drag at idle lowers angle of attack to the point of producing increased airspeed that more than compensates for increased drag,

2. Approx 7 degree recline on prop unloads the wing under power...so wing flies slower for a given weight under throttle because the vertical component of thrust due to the 7 degree recline carries some of your weight.

I dont think its entirely point 2 above...because 7 degrees as a percentage of 180 degrees i dont think equates to a gps speed difference of 3km/hr  (35 vs 38km/hr)

My calc says 7 degress is 3.8 percent however that only equates to 1.47km/hr change in speed.

Any other thoughts on this?

Edited by adamjedgar