Moster belt tension bar wanted

Germy

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Blackburn Mark said:

What witchcraft is this?!
Are people plucking their belts like guitar strings?
That is pretty cool... I'm guessing there must be a formula for different belt types / lengths / widths

There is a formula, but it is easier to set one correctly and measure the frequency. AC is 370 Hz. I have done this many times and it is more accurate than torque since you are actually measuring the real belt tension with no friction losses in anything.

5 hours ago, AndyB said:

There is a formula, but it is easier to set one correctly and measure the frequency. AC is 370 Hz. I have done this many times and it is more accurate than torque since you are actually measuring the real belt tension with no friction losses in anything.

I have just designed a HTD8 belt-pully drive that is close to 4000mm belt length with a 90 degree twist and 90 degree change of axis....  1200mm free length which is very likely to need a few idlers to tame resonance.

I am reasonably confident in its ability to deliver the power (15 / 20hp) but I am also pretty sure it will destroy the tensioner, itself or even structure if I allow it to resonate at or near 8000rpm
I would consider it practical if I can get it to last for 100 hours plus // and perfect at 200 hour plus.... that's peanuts for the type of belt but it will have a relatively tortured life with the angular acrobatics.

I have made a quarter size mockup with a 2.5mm toothed belt and I'm sure I can get the pully angles without stressing the belt too much but the resonance might make a fool out of me!
Wish I was as confident as you and your AC Andy :) 

43 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Can you do your prop speed reduction before it is fed to the belt? Keep it 2800 rpm?

I have done drawings for a short Poly-V 2:1 with a long HTD timing belt 2:1 onto the prop but I don't like it.
The poly-V belt is likely to slip before any frame damage but Poly-V belts need a LOT of tension which I am not confident in controlling with a tensioner and keeping it light (I need the tensioner because the motor is isolated from all other pullies) // the extra pully hardware will add weight that I want to use elsewhere and the Poly-v tension will put a lot of strain on my rubber motor mounts.

Timing belts need much less tension, a single run would be very light and despite being very afraid of the resonance, I don't yet know how bad it will be and that I wont be able to control it with plastic idlers (at least at cruise and full power)
I have been looking at harmonic dampers but there is no point until I know what I am up against so I might just have to bite the bullet start building :)

• Like 1