Check the PPG weight range

GB007

Hi

I’m kind of thinking out aloud here to get a response from you clever guys.

Q 1.

When choosing a wing (Beginner) and looking at the weight range I believe it consists of the following.  Your weight fully geared-up.

The weight range for the Dudek Universal 1.1 28 is 90-140 KG, the wing has have a 50 KG weight range.  So the Mid-range weight is about 115kg

If all my weights were the following it would put me slightly over the Mid weight range which would be perfect, I believe?  Have I read and got this correct or am I still missing something?

Pilot                      85kg

Paramotor            25kg

Fuel                      2.7kg

Reserve               2kg

Helmet                 1kg

Other Gear           5kg

Wing                     Is this added?

Total Weight         120.7kg

Please Note the weights I used here are as close as possible but not exact and only used for the purpose of this question.

Q 2.

Also if money was not an object what would you choose as first Wing?

Ozone Roadster 3 26 - I want this as I love colours. lol

Dudek Universal 1.1 28 - sensible option & cheaper thankfully

Thanks for your time.

GB007  i fly Uni 1.1 28 and i'm 90kgs but fly No reserve and a very light paramotor, the closer to the weight limit the better and more safer the wing, slightly over top weight is OK also, but dependent on your location and experience your welcome to borrow for a test flight if that would help.

Uni is beginner to inter and reasonably fast so gives plenty of hours before upgrading to faster or more agile wing.

Thanks guys, this info is very useful and lets me know I am thinking on the right lines. 

I'm no brave pilot, in fact I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it come to flying and will only fly a beginners wing for the foreseeable future.  Everything I found out so far suggest to me a Dudek Universal will be fine for my needs for a long time. 

I more or less know which Paramotor I want but the next hurdle is what training. 

I had the best Hang Glider training mostly in this country but due to the weather and trying to arrange days off work to match the weather turned my training into a very long drawn out event, there were months between flights that I found very counter productive.  I finally gave up in this country and finished my last CP tasks in Spain which solved my problem but got more expensive.  What do I do this time???

You could post your county location and go from there, due to health i'm still going thru training and it'll be 2yrs this July, my cost of training is something i can not disclose on here as there's more to it (extremely cheap), but dependent on location it might not cost you as much as you think, patience and practice help greatly help in our sport.

Should also say most of my training is done at the weekends.

On 07/04/2019 at 16:32, kiwi k said:

GB007  i fly Uni 1.1 28 and i'm 90kgs but fly No reserve and a very light paramotor, the closer to the weight limit the better and more safer the wing, slightly over top weight is OK also, but dependent on your location and experience your welcome to borrow for a test flight if that would help.

Uni is beginner to inter and reasonably fast so gives plenty of hours before upgrading to faster or more agile wing.

Thanks mate, I'd say my weight fluctuates between 80 and 90 kg so with the paramotor I have in mind I would fall in the top end of the 28 weight range which suits me fine.   Its a shame as I know of a Uni 1.1 28 for sale but just don't have the finance in place until my vehicle sells, slightly temped to use credit card.

9 minutes ago, GB007 said:

I'm no brave pilot, in fact I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it come to flying and will only fly a beginners wing for the foreseeable future.  Everything I found out so far suggest to me a Dudek Universal will be fine for my needs for a long time. 

I more or less know which Paramotor I want but the next hurdle is what training. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Universal 1.1, I've flown it a couple of times & it's a brilliant wing, super lifty and has lovely control under landing. It's EN-B rated which is perfect for beginners and intermediates - the wing will be outperforming the pilot for hundreds of hours. 

Paramotortraining.com have Universal 1.1's as their school wings so may be worth giving Simon a call and having a chat about the wing and best options for training. They have a 28m too. 

In terms of the weight question, I'd be surprised if you're running 2.7kg of fuel, you'll probably want to account for slightly more. I reckon the 28 meter will probably be about right if you were going to end up doing long cross countries & were carrying camera gear. Depending on what type of flying you'll be doing you may want to go for the size below, you want to be closer to the top end of the wing than the lower end. I'd advise you speak to a flying instructor, they'll be able to help you chose the correct size glider based on your weight and type of flying. 

1 minute ago, kiwi k said:

You could post your county location and go from there, due to health i'm still going thru training and it'll be 2yrs this July, my cost of training is something i can not disclose on here as there's more to it (extremely cheap), but dependent on location it might not cost you as much as you think, patience and practice help greatly help in our sport.

I'm located in South London.  I don't have an endless supply of money and would prefer it to be cheaper rather that expensive but money is not my real concern.  I worry about training being long winded due too much time between flights and training.  If I had a crystal ball and could see 2 or 3 lovely weeks in the future in this country where I could book that time off work then camp near training I think I would be OK.  As we all know with the UK weather you never know what it will do next.   

8 minutes ago, benraven said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Universal 1.1, I've flown it a couple of times & it's a brilliant wing, super lifty and has lovely control under landing. It's EN-B rated which is perfect for beginners and intermediates - the wing will be outperforming the pilot for hundreds of hours. 

Paramotortraining.com have Universal 1.1's as their school wings so may be worth giving Simon a call and having a chat about the wing and best options for training. They have a 28m too. 

In terms of the weight question, I'd be surprised if you're running 2.7kg of fuel, you'll probably want to account for slightly more. I reckon the 28 meter will probably be about right if you were going to end up doing long cross countries & were carrying camera gear. Depending on what type of flying you'll be doing you may want to go for the size below, you want to be closer to the top end of the wing than the lower end. I'd advise you speak to a flying instructor, they'll be able to help you chose the correct size glider based on your weight and type of flying. 

Thanks very much for your help.  The weights I used were not exact just used for the purpose of the question.  Now I know, when ready I will calculate what I need with real weights. 

2 hours ago, GB007 said:

Thanks very much for your help.  The weights I used were not exact just used for the purpose of the question.  Now I know, when ready I will calculate what I need with real weights. 

plus when and who you train with will also be  able to give good advice about equipment, some are dealers and might try push you into certain makes but most understand peoples wealth differences