Ground Handling (AGAIN!)

Ok. So, I've had 3, 4 hour PG sessions with a BHPA instructor, and learned the basics of ground handling, with both forward and reverse launches (as he knows I aim to Parmotor), and I've done a couple of low level flights, including left and right turns. Although I'm hoping to have more sessions with him in the next few weeks, and hopefully achieve my basic PG qualification, whenever I've been free to travel the 2+ hours to his school (ie a full day off work), the wind has been too strong. I'm booked on a 1-1 PG and PPG course with FlySpain in late April, and I really want to arrive there with some pretty decent PG skills, so we can get onto the PPG part of the course as soon as SAFELY possible. I have no desire whatsoever to paraglide, once paramotor qualified, by the way!

I've just taken delivery of a brand new custom colours, 28m Roadster2 (thanks' to Mrs. Christmas, or 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'), and bought a 3 point safety harness from Screwfix, so I can do some ground handling practice on a local field that I plan to fly from, once qualified. My first question may be pretty stupid, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to connect to my wing as if it's a power kite (ie. Looking at it, whilst getting a feel for the lines and control of the thing), or should I always treat it like what it is, and connect to it as if I'm going to fly it (which, of course, I'm not!)? My second question is simple. Will any of this help me for my Fly Spain course, or am I just going to mash my beautiful new wing? I've also got a 12 hours old Parajet V3, with Thor 190 ES ready to fly, but I'm not stupid enough to even contemplate giving it a try, without proper training (I must have finally grown up, and turned into my dad!).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, and anyone in the Preston/Leyland area who would like to give me some help will be very welcome!

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave the roadster 2 is a Very good free fly wing as well as a power wing and the more round tangling do the better you’ll become I live in Blackpool and I fly a speedster and if you need some help I’ll be happy to Let me know and we can meet up ian

On 2/8/2018 at 11:23, Tunny said:

Hi Dave the roadster 2 is a Very good free fly wing as well as a power wing and the more round tangling do the better you’ll become I live in Blackpool and I fly a speedster and if you need some help I’ll be happy to Let me know and we can meet up ian

Hi Ian. I didn't see your reply until now. It would be great to meet and have a chat. I'm in Chorley, and I'm already in contact with a nice guy from Southport, so it would be great to meet another northwest flyer too! I've bought a cheap ground handling wing and harness to save the Roadster from damage, but haven't had much chance to try it yet, as the winds have been wicked recently, as you know! I'm on 07970 625008, if you want to call or text. Cheers. Dave.